Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
ChristopherE565
Course Students

Limit on GMAT Attempts

by ChristopherE565 Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:38 am

Hello,

If you have taken the GMAT 8 times but have not achieved the desired score can you attempt the GMAT a ninth or possibly a tenth attempt?

Since this rule by GMAC was only introduced in 2015 can it be grandfathered if one of your attempts was prior to 2015?

Thanks,
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Limit on GMAT Attempts

by StaceyKoprince Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:05 pm

You are able to apply for a waiver—you'll have to explain why you want to take it again, and then they will review the case and decide whether to grant the waiver. (This is the case even if some of your attempts took place before the limit was introduced.)

I don't know what percentage of waiver requests are successful. The only student of mine who ever applied (that I know of) was granted a waiver, but he had already taken it 8 times before the limit was introduced—so it makes sense that they would grant the waiver in that case, as the student couldn't have known that the limit would be put in place. A waiver was granted for one re-take and the wording seemed to indicate that this would be it / another waiver wouldn't be granted. (But, as far as I know, the student didn't apply for a second waiver.)

Send an email to the address for your geographic region to ask how to apply for a waiver. You can find the email addresses on this page:
https://www.mba.com/service/contact-us
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep