If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ajay241185
Forum Guests

Looking out for an Admission Consultant desperately!

by ajay241185 Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:23 am

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V34, IR5, AWA awaited)
Education: Xth (2001): 81%
XIIth (2003): 76%
B. Tech (Mechanical Engineering) (Nagpur University) (2003-2007): 69%
MBA (London School of Commerce) (2009-05/2010): Merit (Overall) Distinction (Distinction)

Work Experience:
1) Mar 2008 – Jan 2009 (Jindal Steels, Karnataka, India)
• Worked in the role of Graduate Engineering Trainee
• Have worked in green field project of Coke Oven in Project Management
• Managing a team of 50-60 technicians at a time in order to run the shift.
• Detailed daily reporting of job progress to General Manager (Projects).
• Ensure proper implementation of time target set for particular jobs.
• Ordering the equipments with detailed technical specification

2) Aug 2010 – May 2012 (Nowtel Communications, London)
• Worked in the role of Senior Sales Executive
• Rather than an promotion in the company, I was offered increase in job role, where initially I was incharge of west region of London, but later on was handling Central London as well.
• Leveraged strengths in persuasive communications & business intelligence to attain highest customer satisfaction rates.
• Managing strategic accounts and relationships with customers, Companies point of contact
• Liaisoning with internal teams, across departments to enable efficient and timely client setups and integrations
• Driving internal sales processes including implementing marketing initiatives, promotion to boost sales numbers.
• Delivering presentations and pitches to introduce and sell services to existing & Potential clients
• Negotiating and closing deals to establish long term business relationship.

3) June 2012 – Dec 2012 (Decimal Factor, London)
• Worked in the role of Business Development Manager
• Establishing a retail chain in the market for the company’s new product, Cash on Mobile.
• Expanding the business for the existing credit card/debit card terminals provided by company in tie up with ELAVON.
• Increasing the revenues generated by Cash on Mobile.
• Maintaining strategic accounts with wholesalers, distributors, and retailers for the company.
• Managing a team of 4 people and meet the targets set up by the company cumulatively.

4) Apr 2013 – May 2014 (Copal Partners (A Moody’s subsidiary), Gurgaon, India)
• Worked in the role of Associate for 6 months, then promoted to Senior Associate
• Working on DCF valuation, writing research reports covering financial statement analysis, evaluation of financial ratios, peer analysis and industry analysis
• Working on the financial valuation for financial services sector that involves aggregating data of various companies calculating different ratios, updating related charts etc
• Use of databases, like, Bloomberg, Fact-set, Factiva, Thomson, Merger market

5) May 2014 – Present (EastSon’s Pvt Ltd, New Delhi)
• Working in the role of Director (Self started Venture)
• Eastsons is a web design & development company with currently a team of 3 sales staff and 5 web designers & developers
• Initial months were lost in establishing the company and other regulatory things.
• Responsible for client retention, ensuring the project is completed within the committed time frame and error free.
• Until now has a client retention rate of +90.0%

Extra-Curricular Activities:
• Represented college in Basketball in Annual Sports Meet for 3 consecutive years (2005-07)
• Tae-Kwon-Do gold medallist in 2001
• Worked around 50+ hours last year voluntarily for promoting education amongst the slum children and teaching as well alongside
• Also, part of a cleanliness group in the city that conducts spot fixes around the city (Picking a spot and cleaning it along with the group)

Languages Known: English, Hindi, Marathi (Spoken), Punjabi (Spoken), Urdu (Spoken)

Notes: My work profile has been quite dynamic and I have strolled from working in a steel company to telecom firm to an investment bank and eventually ending up as an entrepreneur. I would love to work now as a consultant for 3-4 years before venturing again in an entrepreneurial stint. The company that I have opened along with a partner would still be functioning and I would still be very much a part of it.

I believe I need a second MBA to hone my business skills, and to be a part of a global school that has an international standing and an effective alumni base.

Top Schools that I am aiming for: #1 London Business School
#2 Judge Business School
#3 Carnegie Mellon
#4 Rice University
Of course my first preference would be UK, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks a ton,
Ajay
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Looking out for an Admission Consultant desperately!

by mbamissionjenK Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for sharing. You have some extensive business and management work experience that would likely help you contribute a lot in an MBA classroom. Your volunteer work is a great plus. Your GMAT and grades are average or slightly below depending on schools.

Your biggest challenge is that you DO already have an MBA! It can be VERY tough to gain acceptance for a 2nd MBA degree, particularly at more reputable schools, as they have SO many strong applicants WITHOUT an MBA who arguably 'need' it more... some schools will not even consider it (so do research or ask before you get too far set on applying) and others will allow you to apply but it may be quite difficult still to get in.

You would have to make a very strong case for:
1) why your first MBA was inadequate
2) what you'll gain from a 2nd MBA, plenty of concrete reasons/skills/etc; not just "a school with a better reputation" etc
3) clear post-MBA goals and a STRONG case that you NEED this degree to take those next steps
4) clear fit with the school
5) showing what you will contribute to the program

I have to be realistic in my feedback given your situation!! If you'd like to discuss further with one of our consultants at any point, we offer a free consult at www.mbamission.com/consult.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php