Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
Jimmy

Manhattan CAT Population Chart

by Jimmy Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Wes works at a science lab that conducts experiments on bacteria. The population of the bacteria multiplies at a constant rate, and his job is to notate the population of a certain group of bacteria each hour. At 1 p.m. on a certain day, he noted that the population was 2,000 and then he left the lab. He returned in time to take a reading at 4 p.m., by which point the population had grown to 250,000. Now he has to fill in the missing data for 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. What was the population at 3 p.m.?

I am going through the above problem from a Manhattan CAT exam. Note the explanation says the following:If we decide to find a constant multiple by the hour, then we can say that the population was multiplied by a certain number three times from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.: once from 1 to 2 p.m., again from 2 to 3 p.m., and finally from 3 to 4 p.m.

Let's call the constant multiple x.

2,000(x)(x)(x) = 250,000
2,000(x3) = 250,000
x3 = 250,000/2,000 = 125
x = 5

Therefore, the population gets five times bigger each hour.

My question is....The problem never states the frequency of increase. How can we say it increased every hr?
dhoomketu

by dhoomketu Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 pm

You are correct in saying that we shouldn't assume that it multiples each hour, however even without this assumption we get the same result.

Assume : r as multiplication factor for that constant period (who knows the bacteria may be double, triple etc.)
Let the constant period be t hrs (could be 1/2 hr , one hour etc.)

Then in 1 hour the bacteria population will be:
2000 x r^(1/t)

Similarly in 3 hrs:

2000 x r^(3/t) = 250000
r^(3/t) = 125

Since r should be an integer, the only way you could represent the equation is by writing:
r^(3/t) = 5^3
Hence r is 5 and consequently t is 1.
Jimmy

by Jimmy Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 am

The reason I asked this question was because there was a Manhattan GMAT DS question that was wrong based on this principal...the question explanation stated we needed the frequency and the population size after a specific time. So I guess my question is...when does frequency matter, and when does it not matter? How can I identify when it does on a question?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Jimmy Wrote:The reason I asked this question was because there was a Manhattan GMAT DS question that was wrong based on this principal...the question explanation stated we needed the frequency and the population size after a specific time. So I guess my question is...when does frequency matter, and when does it not matter? How can I identify when it does on a question?

one fact that may be surprising to you here:
a constant growth rate is a constant growth rate. it actually doesn't matter at all what time unit you use as your base interval!

this may seem counterintuitive at first, but think about it this way: let's say that some quantity doubles every day. then think about what happens every week: the quantity will double seven times, so that it is 128 times as large as it was one week before. therefore, the following statements are equivalent:
* growing by a factor of 2 every hour
* growing by a factor of 128 every week
and also
* growing by a factor of (24th root of 2) every hour
* growing by a factor of (86400th root of 2) every second
etc.

in other words, to sum it up concisely: if you have constant-rate growth, you can select whatever time unit is the most convenient.