Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
shrikantbhaiya
Students

Manhattan GMAT test SC Question

by shrikantbhaiya Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Dear Instructor,

Following is the question I faced during my test.

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.
(A) With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie
(B) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
(C) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
(D) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
(E) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels.

The answer according to analysis is (E). My question is in (E) what is the antecedent for "her". Agatha Christie's is in possessive so it can not be the antecedent.
I have rejected this option just because of this.

Please explain if I am going wrong.

Thanks & Regards,
Shrikant
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Manhattan GMAT test SC Question

by dmitryknowsbest Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:03 am

It's okay to use a possessive noun as the antecedent of a possessive pronoun, just not as the antecedent of a regular pronoun.

Correct: Mike's managerial skills are more developed than his singing skills.

Incorrect: Mike's singing does not make him many friends.

Remember that this rule (possessive poison) is pretty much never tested, so don't worry too much either way.
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
shrikantbhaiya
Students

by shrikantbhaiya Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 am

Thanks Dmitry,

This has given me new light.

Regards,
Shrikant
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 am

"They gave me candy and called me their light."
-Michelle Pfeiffer, Dangerous Minds (1995)

:)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html