Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
oct30s
Forum Guests

Manhattan SC book Chapter 13 Question 26 and 29

by oct30s Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 am

For Manhattan SC book Chapter 13 Question 26 and 29.
Q26: "Tatiana analyzes people like Oliver Sacks, the famous neurologist." Can I correct this to be "Tatiana analyzes people such as Oliver Sacks, the famous neurologist."
The answer provided did not include the option to replace "like" with "such as" and I don't understand why.

Q29: "The CEO earns twice higher than the average employee at this company."
I wonder can I correct this sentence to be "The CEO earns two times higher than the average employee at this company"?
tim
Course Students

Re: Manhattan SC book Chapter 13 Question 26 and 29

by tim Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 am

your first sentence is just fine. it expresses a clearly different meaning from what the book contemplates, but that does not in any way mean that it is incorrect..

your second sentence is no different from the original, so it is just as incorrect as the original..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
haylineee
Forum Guests

by haylineee Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 am

tim Wrote:your second sentence is no different from the original, so it is just as incorrect as the original..

But I want to know If modification of the Question 29 is ok.
The CEO earns twice more than the average employee at this company.
OR The pay of CEO is twice greater than that of employee on average at this company.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Two issues here:

1) Idiomatically you need to use "as much" as in "twice as much" or "two times as much". The issue is not whether to use "twice" or "two times", these are pretty much interchangeable.

2) You change to "greater" and "higher" are also incorrect here. If you are making a specific comparison here, you need to say that "X makes twice as much as Y", not twice as greater or twice as higher. X's salary is greater or higher than Y's is fine. But if you make the specific comparison, you need to use "as much".
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor