Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
RahulB226
Students

Manhattan SC Guide - 6th Edition - Modifiers

by RahulB226 Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 am

Hi,

I have a general query regarding Past Participle with comma Modifiers, which have been added as Adverbial Modifiers in the 6th edition of this strategy guide and the same were were missing from the 4th and 5th editions of this book. Also, I have not been able to find, in my limited capacity, even a single question in the OG in which past participle with comma modifier is modifying the entire clause or the verb of the clause being modified. Another, reputed GMAT Prep organization also claims, on their blogs, that these Verb-ed modifiers are solely noun modifiers in the GMAT context despite being an adverbial modifier in the outside world.
Is there a reason for this shift from Manhattan Team when they included the past participle with comma as an adverbial modifier?

Please help as I am really confused what to believe, figuring out questions by considering these as noun modifiers becomes easy but I want to ensure that I am not doing the wrong thing and I am aspiring for a high verbal score and hence want to leave no stone unturned.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Manhattan SC Guide - 6th Edition - Modifiers

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:00 am

if you're talking about "comma + __ed" modifiers—just know that these modifiers COULD, theoretically, modify EITHER the preceding noun or the entire preceding clause.