Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Grumppee

Manipulate questions?

by Grumppee Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Since we can no longer post OG problems on here, may we manipulate the questions? For instance, if a problem asks

"Is rst = 1?"

Could we ask on here, is xyz=1? or is 1 divisible by rst?

It would still be an OG problem but with different lettering/notation/view. I'm not sure, was just wondering. Thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:45 pm

You have to cite the author of any questions you post. If you want to make up a question and post it here, with yourself listed as author, then we will likely answer it because, practically speaking, we're probably not going to know where it came from originally. I'm not saying this just to give you a way around GMAC's rules though:

1) If we recognize something as an OG problem with just a few letters or words changed, we will still delete it. And though we certainly haven't memorized the thousands of problems, we do know a lot of them... :)

2) GMAC does monitor forums looking for people who steal their copyrighted material. If you post things that look identical to their questions but you label yourself the author... they could come after you. I'm not sure how sophisticated their monitoring software is, or how much they'll come after individuals trying to study, but I do know that they have already sued several web sites that were doing this systematically as a way to generate their "own" questions - but minor variations on the same fundamental questions still equals copyrighted intellectual property stolen from GMAC.

If you are in one of our courses, please ask your teacher(s) any OG questions; you can also use Office Hours for this purpose. If you aren't in one of our courses, unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for you.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep