Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
utkarsh2408
Students

Many computer databases impose formatting requirements, such

by utkarsh2408 Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:25 am

Many computer databases impose formatting requirements, such as minimum numbers of capital letters or numerals, on users’ passwords in an attempt to enhance security; ironically, these measures often make the passwords easier to guess, as users are more likely to select the simplest possible password that conforms to all the rules.

1)security; ironically, these measures often make the passwords easier to guess, as users are

2)security; these measures, ironically, often result in users creating passwords that are easier to guess and

3)security - ironic measures that often cause passwords to be easier to guess because they are

4)security - measures that, ironically, often make passwords that are easier to guess, with users

5)security - often, ironically, making the passwords easier to guess and making users

Can u pls explain y the ans. is A
According to me the pronoun 'these' does not have a antecedent as no measures are stated in the sentence ?
Pls explain
tim
Course Students

Re: Many computer databases impose formatting requirements, such

by tim Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:51 am

what do you think formatting requirements are?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
gabriela.prudencio
Course Students

by gabriela.prudencio Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:49 pm

I am not 100% sure why A is right. The explanation for why D is that "often make passwords illogically suggests that the passwords are created (perhaps automatically) by the security measures themselves, rather than by system users in response to those measures." By this logic, it would seem that A would also be wrong.

I also don't understand why in B the word "ironically" is misplaced. Can someone explain why the placement of "ironically" would be wrong in B.

thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:18 am

Regarding A versus D, there is a difference between making passwords easier to guess and making passwords that are easier to guess. Remember, in SC you have to pay attention to those subtle differences in wording. As for B, don't worry about the placement of "ironically"; the REAL reason B is wrong is parallelism.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
gabriela.prudencio
Course Students

by gabriela.prudencio Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can you also explain why making making passwords that are easier to guess would be wrong? I read the wording in A, and while it hears right, I can't identify why the wording in D is wrong.
Thanks.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 am

It's because of who's making the passwords. The measures aren't creating the passwords, but that's what D is suggesting.
Tim Sanders

gabriela.prudencio
Course Students

by gabriela.prudencio Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 pm

I think I am understanding better now. Answer A implies that these measures are leading to passwords that are easier to guess. Answer D implies that the measures are making the passwords, not leading to the passwords. This was hard for me to get because I'm not a native English speaker, and to me both options sound alike. I can now arrive to the right answer making a conscious pick.

thanks.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 am

Glad to hear it! Remember those tiny changes often make all the difference.
Tim Sanders

JuanN787
Students

by JuanN787 Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:58 am

Hi,

I eliminated A and B, considering the use of semi-colon. For me the second clause, the semi-colon is separating, is not an independent clause.
What's wrong with that logic?
Best Regards
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:13 am

i don't know the terminology, but the standard usage is
(complete sentence) + ; + (complete sentence)

both A and B have that form, so both semicolons are fine.