Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
LinqingJ930
Forum Guests

Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours

by LinqingJ930 Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out from the surface of the murky water.

A. encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out
B. encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
C. had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
D. encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out
E. encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses that are peeking out

The answer is D. My question is if we use the "with" structure, I think the logical subject should be the subject in the main clause. in this case I think the subject should be "vacationers" and there fore it seems illogical since it clear that "with eyes and noses peeking out " tries to modify the crocodiles.