Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
MiraA779
Forum Guests

Many daring vacationers who participate

by MiraA779 Sat May 17, 2014 11:32 am

Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out from the surface of the murky water.

encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out
    encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
    had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
    encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out
    encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses that are peeking out

I get that A,B and C are wrong based on the verb tense as below:
A: "are peeking out"
B: encountered - incorrect use of past tense which does not go with tense in rest of the sentence.
C. had encountered - incorrect usage of past participle

I have also read the explanations on forum by Stacey. My question is if A was worded as below:

"encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out"

would A have been a better choice? I am aware that the relative pronoun starting with whose is modifying the noun crocodile, can the above be ok as a case of a noun modifier modifying a slightly far-away noun?
tim
Course Students

Re: Many daring vacationers who participate

by tim Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:48 pm

The "whose" in this sentence is being used as the possessive form of "which", and as such it attaches to the closest eligible noun. These words in particular do not enjoy the freedom to modify far away but still "attached" nouns the way other noun modifiers do. So no, this modification would not be correct.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
Maxmerkovitz
Course Students

Re: Many daring vacationers who participate

by Maxmerkovitz Wed May 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi,

Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't need "that" (used in answer E)?

Thanks for your help!
Max