Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
dddanny2006
Students

Many teachers choose to seek employment

by dddanny2006 Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:30 am

Source:Manhattan GMAT SC Guide Pg57 61 105

"Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than face low salaries in the city".

Why cant we have it this way :rather than to face low salaries in the city

"The joint business venture will increase employee satisfaction and improve relations between upper management and staff" -

Please clarify if there is a need to insert"will", as in "employee satisfaction and will improve relations", or that the sentence can stand without the word "will", which then reads as "employee satisfaction and improve relations".

Can you please give me TakeAways when it comes to deciding on whether repititions are required or not,and when they are required to be repeated.I find it hard to decide on these things.

I want to retire to a place WHERE I can relax AND WHERE I pay low taxes

In the above sentence we do repeat it.Can you please explain how we can split and check if the second clauses can stand alone or be repeated.I'm sure there's a trick or two that you'll can share when it comes to these things.

Here's another one-

She WILL WALK to the school in the morning and RUN home in the afternoon.

Why isn't it 'will Run' too

Thanks.

Dan
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Many teachers choose to seek employment

by RonPurewal Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:05 am

In every case you've mentioned, both versions are fine. There are subtle differences, but only on the level of "things that professional writers/editors worry about". Nothing that would ever be tested on this exam.
AZ679
Forum Guests

The joint business venture will increase ...

by AZ679 Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:25 am

Manhattan SC book, 5th Edition, Page 61

Problem#5: (Original Sentence)
The joint business venture will increase employee satisfaction and be improving relations between upper management and staff.

My Question: Why the original sentence is wrong? We can think of it as following:

The joint business venture will increase employee satisfaction and [will:understood] be improving relations between upper management and staff.

So we have two parallel verbs: will increase and [will] be improving

What's wrong with this explanation? Is there a problem with the tenses of the verbs? Can't a simple future verb be parallel to a future progressive one?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: The joint business venture will increase ...

by RonPurewal Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:21 am

parallelism is a relative judgment. you'll always face a choice among answer choices (a "beauty contest").

if you see these two...
increase satisfaction... and improve relations...
increase satisfaction... and be improving relations...
...then it's quite clear that you should go with the first one.