Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
ParthJ26
Students

Marina joked about our security badges

by ParthJ26 Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Dear Instructors,

Hi.

FoV, 6th Edition, Pg 32, Drill 2.3

Q. Circle each pronoun or possessive adjective and make an arrow pointing to its antecedent.

4. As soon as Davis saw his colleague working on her project, he started plotting to take credit for it.

"his" is a possessive adjective that modifies "colleague" and refers back to "David".

"her" is a possessive adjective that modifies "project" and refers back to "colleague".

3. Marina joked about our security badges while ceremonially turning in hers - she said she would be certain to enjoy the fact that retired people no longer have to wear name tags.

"our" is a possessive adjective that modifies "security badges". But, unlike in the above sentences, in which "he" and "she" refer back to nouns, "our" does not refer back to a noun. The answers also do not mark an arrow to point out the antecedent of "our".

Does "our" have an antecedent? If yes, please tell me what it is.

If no, doesn't it make the answer choice incorrect due to missing antecedent?

Would be grateful if you could explain to me.

Thanks in advance.

Parth Jain
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Marina joked about our security badges

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm

4. Your analysis is correct. Does your edition not show the correct answer on page 42?
3. All pronouns need an antecedent if the sentence is to make sense. When we hear first person pronouns (we or I and related forms) then the antecedent is the speaker. However, GMAT doesn't use first person pronouns in SC problems.