If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
KshitijB732
Students

MBA profile evaluation for fall 2017

by KshitijB732 Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi,

Desperate for some help on my call for applying to business schools.
My details: Indian, Software Engineer, Male, 25 years
GMAT: 670 (50Q, 30V, Yet to receive AWA score)
Academics:
-> Bachelor of Technology - average Indian university - 82% overall.

Total Work Experience after Graduation: 3.25 years at the time of application

Work exp. as an Analyst in Information Technology. Have worked with Accenture and currently working with TCS.
Very passionate about organising events and have organised a number of team building, sports and felicitation events at work.

Extra-curricular / Outside work activities during College:

Very passionate about sports especially football and cricket. Have captained the university cricket team and represented the university at various sports events.
Student Co-ordinator of the Training and Placement Cell during the last 2 years of my UG. Interacted directly with recruiters and assisting them in the recruitment process.
Organised several conferences during college including one with IEEE.

Career Goals
Intend to move to the field of financial services. Dream to work for a Big 4.

My questions are:
1. Depending on the competitiveness of my profile and work experience which school should I aim for?
A few schools that I shortlisted are: McCombs, Simon, Kelley, Nanyang, Urbana-Champaign and Fisher.

2. The biggest question in my head is, should I retake GMAT? I had aimed for a 700+ score cause my work experience is less as compared to the general MBA applicants.

During practice I was consistently scoring around 680 on MGMAT and around 710 on GMAT Preps.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: MBA profile evaluation for fall 2017

by mbaMissionKate Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi there!

I think you've got a good list of schools that includes a range of options. On the more competitive end of your list, like McCombs, a higher GMAT would help a lot. I think your chances there as your profile stands now could be tough. I would especially like to see a higher verbal since your background is more technical. So if you've got time and think you can score higher, I would definitely give GMAT another shot. Schools will look at your highest score so having two (or more) attempts won't hurt you.

Your work experience is slightly on the low end, but not out of range. Make sure you've got leadership examples you can point to (both on-the-job and through organizing events, both can count :D ) and have specific reasons / learning goals for why you need an MBA to switch careers at this point. The timing part of that (why now?) will be especially important for you to answer via your essays.

Good luck!
Kate

KshitijB732 Wrote:Hi,

Desperate for some help on my call for applying to business schools.
My details: Indian, Software Engineer, Male, 25 years
GMAT: 670 (50Q, 30V, Yet to receive AWA score)
Academics:
-> Bachelor of Technology - average Indian university - 82% overall.

Total Work Experience after Graduation: 3.25 years at the time of application

Work exp. as an Analyst in Information Technology. Have worked with Accenture and currently working with TCS.
Very passionate about organising events and have organised a number of team building, sports and felicitation events at work.

Extra-curricular / Outside work activities during College:

Very passionate about sports especially football and cricket. Have captained the university cricket team and represented the university at various sports events.
Student Co-ordinator of the Training and Placement Cell during the last 2 years of my UG. Interacted directly with recruiters and assisting them in the recruitment process.
Organised several conferences during college including one with IEEE.

Career Goals
Intend to move to the field of financial services. Dream to work for a Big 4.

My questions are:
1. Depending on the competitiveness of my profile and work experience which school should I aim for?
A few schools that I shortlisted are: McCombs, Simon, Kelley, Nanyang, Urbana-Champaign and Fisher.

2. The biggest question in my head is, should I retake GMAT? I had aimed for a 700+ score cause my work experience is less as compared to the general MBA applicants.

During practice I was consistently scoring around 680 on MGMAT and around 710 on GMAT Preps.
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php