mba

If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
mba-app

mba

by mba-app Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 am

I am a computer science engineer and I am working for my dad's firm. I graduated in 2007 with a GPA of 3.2. I have got 610/5 in gmat. I am very good at maths so I am considering a career in finance. However, I am not interested in banking jobs. Are there still some options left for me for finance job in other sector like consumer products or entertainment ? I am also confused about the 2 b-schools- Ivey or toronto. Also, would my work experience from my dad's firm be a downside to my application?
MBA Mission

Re: mba

by MBA Mission Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 am

Thank you for your inquiry.

Finance is certainly not restricted to Investment banking in the traditional sense - Corporate Finance and M&A advisory work. You could pursue a job in Sales, Trading, Investment Management, Research, Securitization, etc. Further, you could work for a firm in their Finance department and this would enable you to fuse your passion for finance and consumer products or entertainment.

The fact that you are working with your father is not a detriment. The question the AdCom asks of every candidate is: "What did he/she achieve?" If you can prove that you have had your impact, you can bring valuable experience to your MBA classroom. In the next few years, a lot of family businesses will change hands and business schools will want that perspective, provided that it is profound.

As for the Ivey vs. Rotman debate, both schools are very highly regarded in Canada. If I were you, I would visit both campuses, attend classes, speak to alumni, etc. It seems like you are at the beginning of your career so you will have lots of time to develop a priori knowledge of each program. If you are interested in internal Corporate Finance, Rotman probably has the edge as it is known to be more of a Finance school and is close to Canada’s corporate community.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

mba-app Wrote:I am a computer science engineer and I am working for my dad's firm. I graduated in 2007 with a GPA of 3.2. I have got 610/5 in gmat. I am very good at maths so I am considering a career in finance. However, I am not interested in banking jobs. Are there still some options left for me for finance job in other sector like consumer products or entertainment ? I am also confused about the 2 b-schools- Ivey or toronto. Also, would my work experience from my dad's firm be a downside to my application?
mba-app

by mba-app Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:48 am

Thanks a lot !
that really clears my confusion and I am so sure of my goals now.
I am from India so I wouldn't be able to visit the campuses before hand but I appreciate your help.
mba-app

by mba-app Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:49 am

Thanks a lot !
that really clears my confusion and I am so sure of my goals now.
I am from India so I wouldn't be able to visit the campuses before hand but I appreciate your help.