Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.

meaning

by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:47 am

Could any one help me know the meaning of the following words in SC:
adverse - averse
beneficent - benevolent
contemptuous - comtemptible
continuous - contiguous
RonPurewal
Students

Re: meaning

by RonPurewal Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:13 am

any online dictionary could put me to shame, but, as forum traffic is relatively light tonight, i'll have a go.

adverse - averse
* adverse = hostile or unfavorable (used only to describe situations, not people). this is the adjective form of the noun 'adversity', possibly the most overused buzzword of all time in school applications ('How have you overcome adversity?')
* averse to = strongly opposed to

beneficent - benevolent
* beneficent = generous or performing good deeds (note that 'well-intentioned' isn't really good enough here: beneficent refers to actual results)
* benevolent = well-meaning, well-intentioned, kindly (i.e., refers more to intentions than results)

contemptuous - comtemptible
* contemptuous = showing or feeling contempt; scornful
* contemptible (note spelling) = deserving contempt; despicable
in other words, one would rightfully be contemptuous of contemptible people

continuous - contiguous
* contiguous = touching or sharing a borderline (refers to more than one region/thing)
* continuous = uninterrupted (refers to one thing)

by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 am

Thanks
I can understand all.

could you help me last ones?
Thanks

denote - connote
derisive - derisory
disquisition - inquisition
edible - eatable
efficient - effectual - effective
further - farther
homogenous - homogeneous
vocation - avocation
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:11 pm

Have you tried looking these up in the dictionary already? Can you let us know what the specific concern / confusion is with respect to each group?
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 pm

I have checked them from asking the question. However, I could not know the differences.

derisive: expressing or causing derision (adj)
derisory: expressing, worthy of derision (adj)

edible: fit to be eaten (adj)
eatable: fit to be eaten (adj)

effectual: producing a decided, decisive, or desired effect
effective: producing or able to produce a desired effect

homogenous - homogeneous: the same
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:29 pm

Derisive and derisory are both adjectives and both basically mean the same thing, though you can add "laughable" or "ridiculous" to the definition of derisory. You'll usually see derisive used in the classic adjective sense (eg, Their derisive laughter hurt my feelings.); derisory is more often a standalone after the verb (eg, His attempts to jump over 15 dogs at once were derisory.) Generally, the test is not going to ask you to choose between two forms of this word - it's not a vocab test.

Although "eatable" has crept into general usage, edible is generally considered the proper word. I would be surprised to see eatable used on the real test. Technically, they're the same (and, again, the test is not going to ask you to distinguish between these).

Effectual / effective are similar to derisive / derisory. Same definition, both typically function as adjectives, and effective is more commonly used in the classic adjective sense while effectual is more often a standalone after the verb.

Homogenous and homogeneous are just alternate spellings of the same word.

The following pairs have different definitions - look these up: denote / connote, disquisition / inquisition, efficient (compared to effectual and effective).

Avocation and vocation can mean the same thing: a job / career / calling. Avocation can also mean a hobby or something done regularly that is NOT the person's regular job / career.

Further and farther are generally interchangeable in common usage but the test seems to hold to the old meanings: FARther has to do with physical distance / placement and FURther has to do with everything else. So I am farther from the TV than you are. Your claim couldn't be further from the truth.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep