Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
punit.kaur
Students

MGMAT CAT # 3 SC-amount of fines vs number of fines

by punit.kaur Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:39 pm

The administration has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their campaign to protect miners.
A)has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
B)have increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
C)has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of its
D)has increased the amount of fines for mining safety violations as part of its
E)have increased the amount of fines for mining safety violations as part of their

I was confused between C & D. Why can't the amount of fines be increased? There have been a post in the forum before, but there was no final answer/explanation that everyone agreed upon so I guess the question is still open.
vivekcall81
Students

Re: MGMAT CAT # 3 SC-amount of fines vs number of fines

by vivekcall81 Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 pm

The choices C and D are realy confusing, but i would have chosen D if" amoount of each of the fines", was there.
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 am

The difference between (C) and (D) is the "number of fines" vs. the "amount of fines." We use "number of" for countable nouns and "amount of" for uncountable nouns. For example, we would use "number of hats" because we can count hats: one hat, two hats, etc. However, we would use "amount of water" because water is not countable; we would not count one water, two waters, etc.

The intent of the question is to say that those who violate mining safety will incur more fines. Because we can count fines (the violators will face one fine, two fines, three fines, etc.), we'll use "number of fines."

If the sentence wanted to say that the amount on the fines would be increased (a $50 fine was increased to $100), perhaps it would say "increased the amounts of the fines for mining safety violations."
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
nailgmat
Students

by nailgmat Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:11 am

I am still confused with the answer...

amount of: I would think that the intent of the administration is to increase the value of the fines so that the more value of fine will discourage others and hence protect miners.

Number of : Would have been correct if the intent of the administration was to actually increase the number of people who pay fines. But that's not under their control.

Ben you also mentioned that if $50 is to become $100 then number of is correct with a added 'the'. If 'the' deciding factor here ?

Please help in understanding the concept...
nailgmat
Students

by nailgmat Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:17 am

Plz ignore my previous post..

Got the doubt cleared :

post30849.html?hilit=mining#p30849
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:33 pm

done! :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html