Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Supernova

MGMAT CAT - SC

by Supernova Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:08 am

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

A.That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

B.Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

C.Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

D.It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

E.The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees
Supernova

by Supernova Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:14 am

I picked up D.

Why?

A - NO - Awkward construction starts with "That" & necessary "necessary prerequisite" redundant
B - NO - Verb agreement problem & necessary "necessary prerequisite" redundant
C - NO - Pronoun should follow not the other way so....
E - NO - Reason & because usage, redundant english

Need help!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Please don't forget to follow protocol: subject needs to be the first 5-8 words of the question.

- there's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with the word "that" - it sounds awkward because we don't speak this way, but it's not grammatically incorrect
- likewise, there's nothing wrong with putting a pronoun before the antecedent - again, we don't speak this way, but it is permissable grammatically

Based on the above, we cannot eliminate C (your only stated reason was the pronoun issue).

D has several problems. "which" indicates a noun modifier - so the sentence is saying that the records underwent background checks. This sentence also says that "many" of them get background checks, whereas the original sentence indicated that everyone undergoes the checks (prerequisite for all job applicants). This changes the meaning of the sentence, something we're not allowed to do unless there's something logicically wrong with the original meaning (and there's nothing wrong with saying that everyone has to have a background check).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
PT

by PT Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:32 am

Assuming C is the OA as Stacy seems to suggest, is it an acceptable GMAT pattern to start sentences with "Because"?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 pm

There's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with the word "because" - either on the GMAT or in the real world. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
Anon

by Anon Thu May 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi ,

Can someone please explain what is the antecedent "IT"... in choice C..is it "all of their employees have a clean criminal record"

I thought "it" can not refer to actions ...

Thanks in advance
Anon
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 19, 2008 5:28 am

Anon Wrote:Hi ,

Can someone please explain what is the antecedent "IT"... in choice C..is it "all of their employees have a clean criminal record"

I thought "it" can not refer to actions ...

Thanks in advance
Anon

this is one case of a construction that is actually quite common in english: it is ADJ that CLAUSE.
a couple more examples of this construction:
it is unlikely that he will show up.
it is important that you be on time every day. (notice the use of the command subjunctive in this example)

you should probably just know this construction by heart, although i think that 'it' can be taken to stand for the noun clause ('that he will show up', 'that you be on time...', etc.)

--

there are other, similar versions of this construction, as well.

for instance, "it is ADJ for PERSON to VERB"
or just "it is ADJ to VERB"
etc.
manminder

a is wordy

by manminder Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 pm

though there is nothing wrong with either a or c i will go with c because it seems more precise. A is quite wordy and twisted.

what is the right ans for it. please post the right answer
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

OA is C. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
gorav.s
Course Students

Re: MGMAT CAT - SC

by gorav.s Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:17 am

I thought we need a clear subject ( like pronoun they - in C) in first part of sentence and hence C was the clear winner

Also they in first part -- structurally matches to the "banks" ins second part.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:13 pm

tapdoan_hp
Forum Guests

by tapdoan_hp Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:42 am

I dont get it! What about "all of their employees have a clean criminal record". It seems to be "clean criminal records" ?
Please help me.
sudhanshu.jha03
Forum Guests

by sudhanshu.jha03 Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:12 am

Guys, I have a query...

C.Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

well c seems the best option...bt consider xy is correct idiome..
bt here consider x that y is used...

so is it ok..?

Plz suggest.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 am

when considering idioms, you should focus on what are incorrect idioms. "consider x y" is preferable to "consider x to be y"; "consider that y" is not incorrect..

as to the other question, it is possible to assign a singular characteristic to a group, especially if that will help avoid confusion: "all humans have a brain" is preferable to "all humans have brains", because the second version opens up the possibility that each human has multiple brains. if you have a 1st edition verbal review book, look at SC #59 about Neanderthals for an example of how the OG uses this principle..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html