Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Nov1907

MGMAT ONline Practice Question

by Nov1907 Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:58 am

Originaly posted on the GMAT Verbal portion. I would appreciate it if a MGMAT instructor could help me with this question.

Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive, Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive.

A ) Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive.
B ) Henri Rousseau's canvases, painted in a naive, dream-like style, later established the artist as an icon of Post-Impressionism.
C ) Henri Rousseau painted canvases in a naive, dream-like style that has become an icon of Post-Impressionism.
D ) Henri Rousseau's canvases were painted in a naive, dream-like style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism.
E ) the canvases of Henri Rousseau are icons of Post-Impressionism due to being painted in a naive, dream-like style.

The explanations say that choice E uses "due to" incorrectly instead of bcause of. What determines when "due to" should be used as opposed to "because of" ?

Thanks in advance for the reply.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:19 am

"Due to" modifies nouns; "because of" modifies verbs. Why are they icons? Because of the way they were painted. So we want to modify a verb here.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Nov 1907

Thanks

by Nov 1907 Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:10 pm

Thanks Stacy, that is helpful I had some trouble spotting the verb being modified.