If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
shikhar01
Forum Guests

MIS for 5 years experience IT professional

by shikhar01 Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for MIS/BA courses for Fall 2015 with my GMAT score. By that time i will have around 5 years of experience into IT.
Initially i made up my mind for pursuing masters for Fall 2015 rather than MBA because of my low GMAT (590) and cost factors. But one of my friends did raise a question which i too think is valid. Hence i am posting my query here and looking to get some help from anyone who has knowledge for the same.

Looking at the class profile for MS, on a average candidates fall under the category of 2-3 yrs of work exp sometimes even less. I dont know how many fall under my category i.e around 5 yrs of work exp. My query is that for internships/jobs, do most companies have any criteria that they are looking only for freshers or candidates with < 3 yrs of experience? Do they prefer applicants with less work experience ??

Will my work exp (5 yrs) create an issue for searching internships and jobs after masters in US.

I don't know whether my concerns are valid but this thing is stuck in my mind and i would really want some clarification to keep concerns at bay.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Regards,
Shikhar
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: MIS for 5 years experience IT professional

by mbamissionjenK Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Shikhar,

I suggest that you do some more research at some specific schools you are considering.. you can review the class profiles and hiring/employment statistics, and even contact the admissions offices for more detail and advice along these lines. Finally, if you do consider another attempt at the GMAT, schools do take the highest score. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
neha_enc13
Forum Guests

Re: MIS for 5 years experience IT professional

by neha_enc13 Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:20 am

@Shikhar - I am faced with the same dilemma. There are a few MIS programs though like the 1 yr track in CMU for ppl with more yrs of ex. Which univs did you apply to..