Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
Shib

Misplaced modifier?

by Shib Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:56 am

Source : 1000 SC

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago

begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment

begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago

at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago

that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment

Can you please explain why the answer choice would be A and not E.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:00 pm

First, the attempt is an attempt to ratify, so I really shouldn't separate the two. Second, the verb tense "has begun" is present perfect. Present perfect indicates something that started in the past but is still going on or still true today.

It began at one point in the past, so that should be past. The attempt started in the past and is still going on today, so that should be (and is) in present perfect..
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Shib

by Shib Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:26 am

But isn't the modifier "begun almost two decades ago" says that the equal rights movement and not the attempt begun 2 decades ago. And is it wrong to say that the attempt is still continuing?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Overall, this is not a well-constructed question so I wouldn't recommend studying it. It isn't wrong to say the attempt is still continuing - because people are still attempting to ratify it. It is still continuing. The modifier issue is not really handled in a GMAT-like way in any of the five choices (which is why I say - don't study this one).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
MohitK22
Forum Guests

Re: Misplaced modifier?

by MohitK22 Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 am

Can you please help me with the option D. What is the correct usage of attempt, attempt to or attempt at? Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 am

this problem is from a prohibited source, so, i'll lock this thread now.

"attempt to" is followed by a verb (e.g., ...an attempt to break the world record).

"attempt at" is followed by a noun that represents the goal of the "attempt" (e.g., ...making an attempt at the world record).
BadidaA341
Students

by BadidaA341 Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 am

Hi ,
I have read an article which states that "begun" must always have helping verb. The link is provided below. Can you please justify the usage of begun in the above problem.
http://writingexplained.org/began-vs-begun-difference

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 pm

"begun" is like "done", "given", "driven", etc.

any of these words CAN be put with "helping" verbs -- or they can be used by themselves, as modifiers.

e.g.,
We have given away all the free samples.
Did you see the samples given away yesterday?

The government has begun a number of ambitious street-repair projects.
All of the projects begun last month have been suspended because of the budget shortfall.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 28, 2017 9:39 pm

that said -- you shouldn't be using "1000SC" as a source! this is a horrible source!

almost every single problem in "1000SC" -- excepting only the ones stolen directly from GMATPrep or other GMAC materials -- has VERY serious issues.
if you study from this document, you'll probably "learn" more wrong things than actual correct things.

this source is banned on our forum, because it's just a really, really bad source. so, this discussion (like all others about that document) will now be locked.