If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
LloydJ199
Course Students

Missed deadline to cancel a GMAT score - how to address?

by LloydJ199 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I received a 640 (41V, 36Q) in my initial sitting.
During the second exam, I received a 580 (38V, 31Q). I was disappointed but accepted the score anyway with the thought that I could simply cancel later.

Fast forward to today -- I thought I still had time, but apparently missed the 72 hour window when I checked.

While my plan is to improve upon the initial score as much as I can in a third sitting, how much does having that lower score negatively affect my candidacy?

For context, I'm a 36 year old on my second career (law -> advertising). My focus was on a two part time programs and a few FT programs for better grant opportunities (via Consortium). I also will be enrolling in a math for managers online course (with hopes to complete it a little after round 2 applications are due) to show my ability to handle quantitative course work.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Missed deadline to cancel a GMAT score - how to address?

by mbaMissionKate Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi LloydJ199,

That's too bad you missed the cutoff, but I wouldn't stress too much about it. Admissions will always consider your highest score. Plus there is a slight benefit to retaking and showing you were at least trying to raise your score. I would still give it another shot and try to raise your score, especially on the quant side. The course you're taking will help too so I would write an optional essay and plan to mention that there.

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Kate

LloydJ199 Wrote:I received a 640 (41V, 36Q) in my initial sitting.
During the second exam, I received a 580 (38V, 31Q). I was disappointed but accepted the score anyway with the thought that I could simply cancel later.

Fast forward to today -- I thought I still had time, but apparently missed the 72 hour window when I checked.

While my plan is to improve upon the initial score as much as I can in a third sitting, how much does having that lower score negatively affect my candidacy?

For context, I'm a 36 year old on my second career (law -> advertising). My focus was on a two part time programs and a few FT programs for better grant opportunities (via Consortium). I also will be enrolling in a math for managers online course (with hopes to complete it a little after round 2 applications are due) to show my ability to handle quantitative course work.
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php