Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
ChaataK779
Forum Guests

Mock GMAT score 600.. Target 730

by ChaataK779 Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:16 pm

Hello all!

I plan on giving my GMAT in 3 months time.Before I start my Prep I wanted to see where I stand. So I did a diagnostic mock test here and scored 600 (38quant and 35 verbal).

My target score is 730+. Is it too aggressive to attain in 3 months time? Should I be more realistic with my targets?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Mock GMAT score 600.. Target 730

by esledge Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:16 am

ChaataK779 Wrote:Hello all!

I plan on giving my GMAT in 3 months time.Before I start my Prep I wanted to see where I stand. So I did a diagnostic mock test here and scored 600 (38quant and 35 verbal).

My target score is 730+. Is it too aggressive to attain in 3 months time? Should I be more realistic with my targets?
Hi there!

The short answer is "it depends." An increase from 600 to 730+ is a lot, but it's been done.

Here are the influencing factors:

--How much study time do you have on a daily basis in those 3 months? Up to a point of diminishing returns (for me, it's about 3 hours daily, after which I absorb nothing), more time is better than less. Also, for x hours per week, spreading it through the week is better than grouping all x hours on just one or two days.

--What cost you points on this first practice test? Was it just being rusty on things you once knew well, or fundamental gaps in knowledge? Was it timing? Careless mistakes? Unfamiliarity with the question types? Was it one or two clear topics that need major focus, or lots of little things in every topic? Was it what you knew (or didn't know) or what you did (or didn't do)?

--130+ points improvement is a lot, but it's harder from 600 to 730 than it would be from, say, 490 to 620, which are both closer to the median score. This is just because of the (approximate) normal distribution of scores.

The fact that your Q/V scaled scores are similar tells me you would need to improve in both Q and V, so you'd need more time than if you only needed to improve one or the other.

So I'd start by analyzing that first test, with the questions above in mind. Then lay out a study plan and feel free to check back. Good luck!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
sarahr912
Forum Guests

by sarahr912 Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:48 am

I'm awaiting feedback because I'm experiencing the same issue slope game
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:06 pm

Sarah, I don't see a see a post from you anywhere in this folder. Have you submitted a post asking about your issues?
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep