Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
yo4561
Course Students

Modifier markers prepositions, page 58 in All the Verbal

by yo4561 Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:26 pm

On page 58 of All the Verbal, there is an example provided below:
"Researchers discovered that the most common RISK FACTOR resulting in cholera epidemics is the LACK of a clean water supply."

I see that the adverb "most" refers to "common", so this is an adverbial modifier.

However, the book does not mention if "common" is in itself an adverb because it is describing the noun risk factor? To confirm, is what I just said correct? Is this a double whammy where you have two adverbs "most" and "common"? Can an adverb describe another adverb? Thank you in advance for your help.
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Modifier markers prepositions, page 58 in All the Verbal

by esledge Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:44 pm

I believe "common" can only be used as a noun or an adjective. In this example sentence, "common" is modifying the noun "factor," so it's an adjective.

It's ok to have two adjectives next to each other that both modify the noun after the 2nd one. In that way, "common risk factor" is like "little red truck."

"Most" is an adverb because it says how common (i.e. the degree to which it is common). Only adverbs describe adjectives. So "most common risk factor" is like "very little red truck."
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:47 pm

esledge Wrote:I believe "common" can only be used as a noun or an adjective. In this example sentence, "common" is modifying the noun "factor," so it's an adjective.

It's ok to have two adjectives next to each other that both modify the noun after the 2nd one. In that way, "common risk factor" is like "little red truck."

"Most" is an adverb because it says how common (i.e. the degree to which it is common). Only adverbs describe adjectives. So "most common risk factor" is like "very little red truck."

Thank you so much!
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:17 am

yo4561 Wrote:On page 58 of All the Verbal, there is an example provided below:
"Researchers discovered that the most common RISK FACTOR resulting in cholera epidemics is the LACK of a clean water supply."

I see that the adverb "most" refers to "common", so this is an adverbial modifier.

Hi Emily - on this same sentence, just curious

1) what happens if we drop the word "That" : Doesn't the core still remain the same -- "Researchers discovered blah blah blah " ?

Would that be grammatically incorrect per your view ? Just wondering ....

2) Within the 2nd clause of the sentence

JbhB682 Wrote:....the most common RISK FACTOR resulting in cholera epidemics is the LACK of a clean water supply

Is [ LACK of a clean water supply] one large object noun phrase ?

The core for the second clause is the most common RISK FACTOR is (object noun or object noun phrase)
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:34 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:1) what happens if we drop the word "That" : Doesn't the core still remain the same -- "Researchers discovered blah blah blah " ?

Would that be grammatically incorrect per your view ? Just wondering ....

Yes, it would be wrong to drop the "that."

You need it to separate the two complete clauses "Researchers discovered (something)" and "the ... risk factor ... is the lack of (stuff)." Another way to say this is "you need that because there is a verb (is) later in the sentence." You would not need the that if researchers just discovered a/the risk factor (period, end of sentence). But since the researchers discovered THAT the risk factor DOES something, you need THAT to turn the whole second clause into a noun phrase that serves as the object of the first clause: What did the researchers discover? The whole idea "THAT the risk factor is a lack of clean water supply."

JbhB682 Wrote:2) Within the 2nd clause of the sentence

JbhB682 Wrote:....the most common RISK FACTOR resulting in cholera epidemics is the LACK of a clean water supply

Is [ LACK of a clean water supply] one large object noun phrase ?

The core for the second clause is the most common RISK FACTOR is (object noun or object noun phrase)

Yep!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT