Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
nash.avi

modifier

by nash.avi Fri May 15, 2009 3:23 pm

I saw this question in many websites (http://www.beatthegmat.com/1000-sc-q-651-t18641.html)

[Deleted because this question is from a banned source - see below.]

I also saw this somewhere: "A resumptive modifier picks up a word or phrase from a sentence that seems to be finished and then adds information and takes the reader into new territory of thought."

What do you think is the answer. Could you please explain your reasons why it is right and why other choices are wrong.

Thanks in advance
chintanjpatel
Students

Re: modifier

by chintanjpatel Sun May 17, 2009 6:10 pm

nash.avi Wrote:I saw this question in many websites (http://www.beatthegmat.com/1000-sc-q-651-t18641.html)

Since the 1930’s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless
wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not
become turbulent.
(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so

I also saw this somewhere: "A resumptive modifier picks up a word or phrase from a sentence that seems to be finished and then adds information and takes the reader into new territory of thought."

What do you think is the answer. Could you please explain your reasons why it is right and why other choices are wrong.

Thanks in advance

Guess the answer is A.

B and E are clearly wrong. C doesn't seem right because it doesn't have a comma before the descriptive clause which starts with that. D does not seem correct idiomatically, shaped in such manner as if u r talking about the process of shaping.

Plz confirm the answer choice bcoz honestly, m pathetic at SC's.
nash.avi

by nash.avi Wed May 20, 2009 4:04 pm

The official answer is (B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped

I have no idea how this is correct. Could any instructor help.

Thanks in advance
malikrulzz
Forum Guests

by malikrulzz Fri May 22, 2009 11:37 am

Even I am strugling with
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Please read (and follow!) the forum guidelines before posting.

First, this folder is ONLY for ManhattanGMAT questions that have appeared on MGMAT CATs.

Second, 1000SC is a banned source because it illegally uses copyrighted problems without permission. (And, even if it didn't, we'd ban it anyway - a lot of the problems in the set are fine, but there are a number of bad ones that can actually mess up your study if you use them!)

Please also remember that it is not sufficient to cite another web site as the "source" of a question. The source is the author of the question - a person's name or a company's name. A web site is merely a location where someone posted a question that someone else wrote. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
ZoeZ42
Students

by ZoeZ42 Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 am

dear instructors,
i am not clear about the constructure if put correct choice (B) into the sentence.

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings,wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

the green words "since the 1930's..... with frictionless wings", ---- clause, imply the timeframe,
the bold words "wings so smoth and so perfectly shaped" ---- subject of the sentence, with a modifier "so smooth and so perfectly shaped" , this modifier modifies the subject "wings",
also, here is an idiom ""so ...that..."
the black words "the air passing over them would not become turbuent",----- result of the smooth and perfectly shaped wings, i think it is a clause too.

so... i have no ideas that what's the main verb of the whole sentence..., please help...

for example,
you worked so hard that you pass the GMAT.

here, subjeect-- you, verb -- worked, and result of the sentence is you (subject) pass (verb) the GMAT...

hoping won't wait for a long time reply

thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~