Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
rahul_sehijpal
Students

Modifiers , chap -6 , pg -93 , 5th edition

by rahul_sehijpal Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Angola , which was ravaged by civil war for many years after it gained independence from Portugal , which is now one of Africa's success stories , has an economy that grew by 21% last year , where parliamentary elections are to be held later this week .

The answer given in the book is :

Ravaged by civil war for many years after it gained independence from Portugal ,Angola is now one of Africa's success stories : its economy grew by 21% last year , and parliamentary elections are to be held later this week .

According to me this answer is not focusing on anything , it just states everything in a jumbled manner .Kindly explain to me the same as it seems a little puzzling to me .
Also according to me the answer could be something like this :

Ravaged by civil war for many years after it gained independence from Portugal , Angola , which is now one of Africa's success stories and where parliamentary elections are to be held later this week , has an economy that grew by 21% last year .

Please suggest !
tim
Course Students

Re: Modifiers , chap -6 , pg -93 , 5th edition

by tim Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:42 am

i have to admit, i'm not really sure what your question is. part of your job is to understand the structure of correct sentences and to be able to distinguish them from incorrect sentences. this sentence describes Angola, then gives a main clause saying something about Angola. after that, it provides more background on the circumstances of the country. can you be more specific about what help you are looking for if this doesn't answer your question?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html