Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
c.w.richardjr
Course Students

Modifiers in Passive Voice

by c.w.richardjr Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am

Sentence Correction Guide, page 84 (bottom of the page)

Incorrect: The problem was identified, using the latest technology.
Correct: The engineer identified the problem, using the latest technology.

As I was reading through this, several things occurred to me. First off, I don't understand why the modifier using the latest technology needs to refer to someone who actually used the technology. I interpret the phrase using the latest technology as modifying the way in which the problem was identified, making it a verb modifier.

The correct answer switches from passive voice to active voice. Using the latest technology modifies the way in which the engineer identified the problem - fine. The change from PV to AV got me thinking - can there not be a verb modifier that modifies a passive voice clause? I am pretty much inferring this from the above sentence that is incorrect.

I think I just need a better explanation of why the incorrect sentence above is in fact incorrect. Moreover, would it be appropriate to say, "the problem was identified through using (or the use of) the latest technology?

Thank you

Charles
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: Modifiers in Passive Voice

by jlucero Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Charles,

p. 89 in the same book does a good job of answering your question about why this can't be a verb modifier. Let me start by emphasizing what they write before their examples: "Some verb modifiers may apply to both the verb and verb's subject. In these cases, you must make sure that the subject makes sense with the modifier."

If you wanted to say that your example should function as a verb modifier, you'd be correct. But it would be breaking the above rule as it does not refer to the subject of this sentence. The real reason we want to avoid such a scenario is that it allows for an ambiguous meaning of: The problem was identified and the problem was using the latest technology. When the problem was identified, was it using the latest technology? Correct answer choices should never have an ambiguous meaning, which is why we have to lose our sense of "it sounds ok, because I know what the sentence is trying to say."

The bottom of the same page also answers your question about when passive voice is acceptable when the action is occurring for a purpose:

The weight was lifted to free my leg.
The problem was answered to satisfy the forum user.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor