Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
dheeraj787
Forum Guests

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legis

by dheeraj787 Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:43 pm

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.
A. to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect.
B. to borrow money, the objectives of which are the protecting of
C. to borrow money, limitations intended to protect.
D. for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting.
E. for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting.

Why not A ?
Please explain. Thanks.

Question Source: GMAT PREP.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legis

by RonPurewal Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:49 pm

The most glaring problem with choice A is the plural "objectives"; the sentence describes only one objective (= goal).

That choice also has the problem described in this post:
post26678.html#p26678
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Fri May 16, 2014 10:40 am

E. [revised] Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, limitations with the intention of protecting taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

C. [OA] Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, limitations intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

are they the same in intended meaning?

want to learn the differences between "with the intention of" & "intended to"

ARIGATO
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:19 am

Your version of E doesn't work. "With the intention of" can only describe people and/or other entities that can legitimately have "intentions" (corporations, governments, etc.)
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Mon May 19, 2014 8:55 am

I think I don't know that states such as Alaska (in another question that i asked) can not have intentions.

All my problems are solved.
Thank you again.
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Tadashi Wrote:_____________
"With the intention of" can only describe people and/or other entities that can legitimately have "intentions" (corporations, governments, etc.)

All my problems are solved.
Thank you again.
Tadashi.

In some contexts, geographical names are used to refer to governments, which can have intentions.
E.g., if I write
With the intention of collecting additional sales tax, California has enacted a law requiring online retailers to collect and pay state sales tax on any purchase mailed to an address within the state
then that's ok, since, here, "California" means the state government.
FeiH991
Students

by FeiH991 Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Dear Ron

Is this question testing difference between "for borrowing money" and "to borrow money"? I can't tell the difference.

thanks in advance.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Yes. In this case, for borrowing money is incorrect. Someone has the authority to do something, not the authority for doing something.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
FuM520
Students

by FuM520 Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 am

Dear Ron

I am quite confused by this problem :
In choice (D), if we omit all other mistakes, just care about “the objective of which” & “of which the objective” ,
The first usage is right and the latter one is wrong ? I am not sure about the problem.

I just take some examples:
(Right) Pong is a classic game from which have descended many current computer pastimes.

(Right)The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and southern Indian alphabets.

(Right)Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

(Wrong): This model explains all known subatomic particles, of which some were only recently discovered.

However, I am still confused. What is the difference between “the objective of which” & “of which the objective”

Hope your reply !
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:47 am

Tough question! It seems that you're mixing up quite a few different issues here.

First of all, the 'which' modifier needs to be placed as close as possible to the noun that it's modifying. That's problematic in answer D, as we need the 'which' to refer to limitations, not money or any other noun. By repeating 'limitations', answer C avoids this problem.

Second, the use of a preposition before 'which'. This is also fine, it just sounds a little old fashioned. In speech I might say 'I bought a car, which I paid a high price for.' However, in GMAT, you're more likely to see constructions such as 'I bought a car, for which I paid a high price.' The word 'which' is still referring to 'car'.

Finally, in your (well chosen) examples, the problem comes with the word 'some'
(Right)The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and southern Indian alphabets.

This is fine: the alphabets derive from the Aramaic script.
Right)Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

Good. It was only some of the subatomic particles which were recently discovered.
(Wrong): This model explains all known subatomic particles, of which some were only recently discovered.

Problem! What's the 'some' referring to? It's not clear that it's some of the particles.

I hope this helps.
FuM520
Students

by FuM520 Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Sage Pearce-Higgins Wrote:Tough question! It seems that you're mixing up quite a few different issues here.

First of all, the 'which' modifier needs to be placed as close as possible to the noun that it's modifying. That's problematic in answer D, as we need the 'which' to refer to limitations, not money or any other noun. By repeating 'limitations', answer C avoids this problem.

Second, the use of a preposition before 'which'. This is also fine, it just sounds a little old fashioned. In speech I might say 'I bought a car, which I paid a high price for.' However, in GMAT, you're more likely to see constructions such as 'I bought a car, for which I paid a high price.' The word 'which' is still referring to 'car'.

Finally, in your (well chosen) examples, the problem comes with the word 'some'

This is fine: the alphabets derive from the Aramaic script.
Right)Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

Good. It was only some of the subatomic particles which were recently discovered.

Problem! What's the 'some' referring to? It's not clear that it's some of the particles.

I hope this helps.

Sage, Thank you very much !

Your explanation helps me a lot
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 am

:)
Gui
Course Students

by Gui Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am

dheeraj787 Wrote:Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.
A. to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect.
B. to borrow money, the objectives of which are the protecting of
C. to borrow money, limitations intended to protect.
D. for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting.
E. for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting.

Why not A ?
Please explain. Thanks.

Question Source: GMAT PREP.

Is there a problem with the use of comma + "with...." in this sentence? What is the proper usage of "comma + with"?

Tks! :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 am

Yes, I think that the use of the comma + with modifier is incorrect in A because it's not clear what is with what. Remember that modifiers are a complicated area, probably the most complicated part of grammar tested on the GMAT. I honestly couldn't define the "rules" for comma + with modifiers, but the good news is that I don't think it's necessary. Note how this problem isn't testing you on the split between 'with' or no 'with', but we can also see that GMAT seems to prefer comma -ing modifiers or absolute phrases (check out All the Verbal Companion for information on these) to comma + with modifiers.

You may also find this discussion useful: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... th#p133210