Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
aps_asks
Forum Guests

Re: NewJersey Deer Population

by aps_asks Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 am

Hi Instructors ,

I was not able to paste the image of the problem from the GMAT Prep Software.

I have a question regarding this problem.

Can we follow the below two step approach to solve this problem?

1) Use a 2-3 parallelism split of and : Result A , D and E eliminated.
2) Between B and C , the modifier With no natural... can only modify the Deer population and not wildlife officials.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Sorry, no more help on this problem until we know it’s legit..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:00 am

Hi tim ,

This problem is a legitimate one.

I am not able to figure out how to post an image on the MGMAT Forum.

Please let me know the procedure.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:46 pm

aps_asks Wrote:Hi tim ,

This problem is a legitimate one.

I am not able to figure out how to post an image on the MGMAT Forum.

Please let me know the procedure.

Thanks

you can select "img" from the buttons above the posting area, and then use those tags to enclose a valid web address for the image.

alternatively, you could simply post the image to a site such as postimage.org, and then just throw the resulting address into your post.
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:16 am

Hi ,

This Problem is legitimate
http://s14.postimage.org/71vol2dv5/MGPost_Image.jpg
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Instructors ,

Can you now answer my below Ques

2) Between B and C , the modifier With no natural... can only modify the Deer population and not wildlife officials.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 am

aps_asks Wrote:Hi Instructors ,

Can you now answer my below Ques

there's no problem with parallelism in choice (e); "with x" is parallel to "without y". however, you can eliminate (e) (and also (a)) with the same observation about modifiers.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 am

I agree C is oa.

The problem is that WITH PHRASE+COMMA can modify the following clause but dose not need refers to a noun in the clause. choice C is the case. It seems that this is absolute construction. But forget the name. Choice C is perfect not best.

in other case, WITH PHRASE+COMMA can modify the following clause and, in parallel, refers to a noun in the clause.

the following from gmatprep, already dicussed in this forum, is similar to choice C. in the following, D is oa.

//Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people// now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people

B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people

C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people

D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are

E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are

Is my thinking correct?, pls, confirm, choice C is perfect not best.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 pm

thanghnvn, i don't know what "perfect not best" means. are you actually saying that choice (c) is perfect?

in this example, choice (c) has very clear non-parallelism. there are 2 ideas that must be parallel here:
(1) rates for wireless service are plummeting, and
(2) cell phones are becoming extremely common.

choice (c) doesn't put these ideas in parallel, so it's wrong.

if you have further questions about this particular problem, you should find a thread about this problem and post on it -- you shouldn't derail the current thread.
if you can't find such a thread (which almost certainly exists on the forum), then go ahead and start a new one if necessary.
varungampa
Students

by varungampa Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Ron,
In the actual question in this post ...
In option C isnt "where there is no hunting" (neednt be because of a rule) differ from "allow no hunting" (rule to be followed) in option A ? I eliminated option C thinking it is deviating from the data in option A.
Can you please explain this?

Thanks,
Varun
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 am

varungampa Wrote:Hi Ron,
In the actual question in this post ...
In option C isnt "where there is no hunting" (neednt be because of a rule) differ from "allow no hunting" (rule to be followed) in option A ?

well, this is one of those things where you have to exercise a certain modicum of real-world judgment.
if "there is no hunting" in some particular place, it's not because of pure magic!, nor is it because all of that area's residents are chill, tranquil peaceniks -- neither of these interpretations would be reasonable.
instead, if "there is no hunting" somewhere, the only reasonable explanation is that there's a law against hunting in that particular locale.
sudi.iitg03
Forum Guests

by sudi.iitg03 Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi

Sorry to bring up this thread again ,

I was not able to understand whats wrong with B ??
Is it something to do with ""wildlife officails' estimate"??
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

sudi.iitg03 Wrote:Hi

Sorry to bring up this thread again ,

I was not able to understand whats wrong with B ??
Is it something to do with ""wildlife officails' estimate"??

I see two major issues:

1) subj-verb agreement:
The estimate (of the deer population) have grown to...
Should be: The estimate has grown.

2) modifier:
With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, (wildlife officials') estimate
Should be: With no natural predators..., the deer population has grown...
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
vikram4689
Students

Re: natural predators

by vikram4689 Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
mihir Wrote:NEWYORK can't have any PREDATORS in thsi world ha haa :((((..
only deer population can have some predators...so it should modify deer population ..not the NEWYORK..

public service announcement: new york and new jersey are two different places.

--

back to your regularly scheduled programming:

the above poster has correctly summarized why 'deer population' is the right noun to follow the opening modifier: there are no predators that threaten to eat new jersey (political metaphors notwithstanding).

i agree that describing a deer population as 'with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods' is somewhat ridiculous - in my mind, it conjures an image of smartly attired deer touring the latest subdivisions along with their antlered sales representatives - but it's better than the awful lack of parallelism in choice d (without natural predators and no hunting allowed - ugh).

never forget that you're often reduced to picking the choice that's least awful, rather than the 'best' one.

i was confused between C and D. i had exactly same problematic feeling with C and D but then i thought D is correct as i thought that may be the parallel elements are without natural predators and no hunting allowed, which are parallel and retain the meaning, and "without" is for first modifier only. what is wrong here ?

how did you conclude that 'with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods' is ONLY somewhat ridiculous. i thought that since "deer population" cannot have expanses of neighbourhood, this error is grotesque error. ("with" means that entity modified by "with" actually has the thing coming in"with...."
agautamdai
Course Students

by agautamdai Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

My problem with C was that - has a full sentence in the comma - wildlife officials estimate

This is the issue because a independent clause is placed within another clause ( without any conjunction )

Ron could you please let me know how this is correct...