Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
HazalS613
Course Students

No Score Improvement

by HazalS613 Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:28 am

Hi Stacey,

I took 6 CATS and the Manhattan-Prep-Online course. My score started to decrease: 420 (Q30, V20), 400 (Q13, V 28), 500 (Q31, V 28), 550 (Q 36, V30) , 530 (Q 32, V 31), 520 (Q33, V28). I absolutely have no idea what I should do next. I know that the quantitative part is not my strength. However, my scores dropped instead for both parts despite studying so hard.

Study habits:
- studying everyday
- solving max. 20 questions per day ( usually less than 20)
- reviewing the answers
- I did nearly every Q in the OG
- goal score approx: 610
- (cry)

Concerns:
- My biggest problem in the quantitative part is that I don't see a pattern in questions I have not seen like that.
- I have trouble with NP (but after checking the solutions I'm like well that's not difficult)
- I start to question my intelligence
- Why did my score start to drop? :cry:
- Is my score going to increase? :cry:
- What am I doing wrong?
- Should I buy the new OG 2019?
- questions over questions, my brain feels like a mess, I absolutely don't get...
- The fact that I don't know what the problem is, reduces my motivation so much
- This is my third attempt to post sth, I don't know why but my post wasn't shown yesterday after posting...

I hope you can help me!!!!
Hazel
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: No Score Improvement

by StaceyKoprince Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi, I'm sorry that you've waited so long for a reply! For some reason, your post didn't show up for me the last time I was on. And I'm sorry that you had trouble posting in the first place!

There are various reasons why someone's score could decline—though I will say that a difference of 20-30 points isn't really a decline. I would call that "stagnating." You lifted your score into the low-to-mid-500 range (good job!) but now you are just staying in the same place—so we have to figure out how to get you unstuck and climbing again.

First, you said you took our course. When did the course end? Did you use your Post-Course Assessment (the 30-minute online meeting with an instructor to go over the data from the CATs you took during the course and to come up with a post-course study plan)?

If so, give me an overall summary of what the instructor told you. If not, and if it has not been too long since your course, sign up for the PCA now. If you're still within 30 days of the last day of your course, you can sign up yourself in Atlas. Look under Course Information and then PCA/Office Hours. (PCA stands for Post-Course Assessment.) If it has been more than 30 days, you can contact our student services team to see whether you can get an extension to do it now. (If it's only a few weeks longer, you can usually get an extension. If it's been months since your course ended, they may not be able to make an exception.)

Next, the two major culprits at this stage (when someone's score stops going up) are usually some combination of time management and test anxiety. One common scenario: You learn a bunch of stuff / you can do more than you used to be able to do. So naturally you try to do more when you take a test—but you actually try to do too much and then mess up your timing and then your score drops. The GMAT is a "where you end is what you get" test—your scoring level at the end of each section (for Q and V) is your score for that section. So if you mess up the timing and your score drops by the end...well, where you end is what you get.

And of course, you get anxious when you realize that your timing is messed up, which makes it harder to concentrate, and that leads to more careless mistakes, ... and so it just all spirals together into a very frustrating test experience.

I just peaked at your test data for your last CAT and timing is definitely a big issue. On both sections, go look at your scoring trajectory. Your ending point for the section is about 20 percentile points lower than your peak for Verbal and even more than that for Quant—you're basically lifting (but taking too much time to lift that high) and then dropping. Since your score isn't an average of your performance across the section but just a reflection of where you end, that's why your score keeps staying in the same range.

There's a good chance that you already have the content knowledge that you need to get your goal score of 610. What you need to concentrate on now is how to take this test—and that means improving your executive reasoning / decision-making skills.

Read this (right now, before you keep reading the rest of my post):
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... lly-tests/

Do you see how what you're doing doesn't fit with what that post says? You're prioritizing getting stuff right over timing, but the GMAT wants you to balance those two goals. There are trade-offs between timing and getting stuff right, and you have to make good "business" decisions about when to prioritize one over the other. If you always prioritize getting stuff right, you won't be able to keep lifting your score on the GMAT.

Now, go read this (or watch the webinar linked at the beginning of the article, your choice):
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -the-gmat/

Then come back here and tell me what you think you need to do in order to develop that business mindset for the GMAT. (I'll tell you what I think, too—but the act of thinking about what you need to do for yourself will help you to get into the business mindset better than if I just tell you. So you tell me first what you think.)

Here's a resource to help you specifically with time management:
blog/2016/08/19/everything-you-need-to-know-about-gmat-time-management-part-1-of-3/

Finally, go back into your most recent test or two and analyze your decision-making. Where did you make decisions that you think were good ones? Where do you think you should have made different decisions? Why should you have made those different decisions, and what should have been the trigger? (Then you'll know how and when to make those better decisions next time.)

In particular, analyze the decisions you made on the questions on which you spent too much time. For example, on quant, you spent a little over 20 minutes (almost 1/3 of your total time) on 5 questions! You got 2 right and 3 wrong. You then missed *9* questions in a row at the end because you were running out of time.

If you had gotten all 5 of those other questions wrong in 1 min each (that is, if you'd chosen to bail on them—even the ones you ended up getting right!), you would have had more than 15 minutes extra to spend at the end of the section. And that might have helped you to avoid the end-of-section drop that killed your score.

Then come back and tell me what you think. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
HazalS613
Course Students

by HazalS613 Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Stacey!

Thanks for your answer! :D Sorry for this laaate response, got the flu…
I guess the course ended in September…Yes, I have used the Post-Course-Assessment, it was very helpful! After that my score increased to the mid 500 level.

Since your score isn't an average of your performance across the section but just a reflection of where you end, that's why your score keeps staying in the same range. Thanks!! This helps me to calm down a bit :)

After reading „how to take the test“ I realized that I am usually skipping the decision to bail, I feel like „you need to get it right“. Instead, of making decisions I kind of push them far away to avoid them…

I read the time management blogs twice. I tried to not exceed the given time rules while solving the CATs. Somehow, I cannot get the feeling for 1 min…

Actually, I do not decide. I simply try to solve… In general, I would say I made bad decisions by „deciding“ to try the questions. I’ve seen that I spent 5 min on one problem and got it right. However, the 5 min led probably to a loss of time for the last questions. Or I also spent about 4 min at a question but got it right, 3 min on another question and got it wrong… I spent too much time on questions without getting the right solution or even after getting the right answer I was still behind. I need to get a sense for „1 min“?

I guess I got stressed by the fact that I can solve the questions but do not have enough time to solve them… I am too slow in solving, but do not know how to get faster...

Merry Christmas!
Happy Holidays!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:58 pm

I hope you're feeling better!

I guess I got stressed by the fact that I can solve the questions but do not have enough time to solve them… I am too slow in solving, but do not know how to get faster...

This mindset is what is stressing you out—but this is the "old school" mindset. You are not too slow in solving everything. It's true that you are too slow on a few—the ones that are "bad investment opportunities" for you. But the test is NOT trying to see whether you can get those right. The test is trying to see whether you can make an appropriate business decision: Do you have the ability to recognize a bad business opportunity and do you have the discipline to walk away?

For instance, what if I said, "I have this great investment opportunity. Give me a million dollars and I will give you a guaranteed 15% return." Instead of immediately saying yes, you'd want to ask some key questions: Is that an annual return? When will I get my money back? Etc. If I tell you, oh no, it's a 15% total return and you'll get it in 10 years...well, that's not such a great opportunity after all. Plus, while my money is tied up in this investment, I can't use it anywhere else.

That's the real decision you're making—by giving extra time to this problem, you are choosing not to use that time elsewhere. But other opportunities are going to come along that don't take you 4-5 minutes to solve. You could maybe get two problems correct in the time that it took you to get that one really long problem correct.

So when you choose to give a ton of extra time to something because you're prioritizing getting it right over managing your resources for the best overall outcome—you are actually actively not taking the test in the way that will maximize your score. Literally, that "old school" mindset is the opposite of what you need to do in order to maximize your score.

Moving over to the business mindset is your priority—and, bonus, once you succeed, the anxiety you're feeling now will no longer be there, because that anxiety is tied to the "old school" mindset! (You'll still be nervous about taking the test of course—we all are. But that particular source of anxiety, at least, will be gone. :) )
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep