Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
aflaamM589
Students

Re: normative model of strategic decision making

by aflaamM589 Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:52 am

tanyatomar Wrote:The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executive examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide on a strategy

Hello Ron
Is this sentence also correct,
Just want to confirm that i've understood this particular construction correctly (command subjunctive or whatever it is called).
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:18 am

no, because there is no demand/request/statement of importance there.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:18 am

oh, ok, i see what you're doing here.

it's possible for that kind of construction to use the word "suggest" -- but, that would be a different kind of "suggest".
that's the kind of "suggest" that's like "I'm suggesting that you do something" -- like, I'm urging you to do something, or strongly encouraging you to do something.
e.g.,
I would suggest that you be on time tomorrow, since the district manager will be here at the start of the day and may use his impressions to make future promotion decisions.

__

the sentence you quoted is a totally different thing.
that sentence uses "suggest" = "state (an idea)"; this has nothing to do with the kind of "suggestion" described above, so it can't take the same construction.
Neko_Yin
Students

by Neko_Yin Tue May 30, 2017 11:51 am

Hi Ron and other experts,

1) I am not sure about why A) is wrong. Please clarify whether "in using" is incorrect here, and whether "can decide" is in parallel with "examine" and why.
2) I understand that
Basically, when you have "and", or "but", or anything else that separates two thoughts from one another, that word forms a "boundary" that modifiers can't cross.

But I'm confused about the location of "and" and "comma" in the question: and before comma OR and after comma. Does the location make any difference?
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.
A. conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide
B. conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding
C. conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding
D. conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide
E. conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decideI have two questions:

Please help. Thanks in advance.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 31, 2017 2:36 pm

"IN using..." is just like "IN xxxx" for any other process/situation/action "xxxx" -- it describes something that happens AS PART OF "xxxx", or DURING "xxxx".
In practicing DS problems, you'll probably invent some of your own ways to organize the information.

that relationship is backward here.
"in using ... , they decide ..."
—> this seems to imply that "deciding on a strategy" IS A PART OF "using the set of criteria".
...but, in context, that should clearly be the other way around.

__

don't worry about the presence/absence/placement of punctuation. those things are not tested on this exam.
Neko_Yin
Students

by Neko_Yin Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:35 am

RonPurewal Wrote:"IN using..." is just like "IN xxxx" for any other process/situation/action "xxxx" -- it describes something that happens AS PART OF "xxxx", or DURING "xxxx".
In practicing DS problems, you'll probably invent some of your own ways to organize the information.

that relationship is backward here.
"in using ... , they decide ..."
—> this seems to imply that "deciding on a strategy" IS A PART OF "using the set of criteria".
...but, in context, that should clearly be the other way around.

__

don't worry about the presence/absence/placement of punctuation. those things are not tested on this exam.

Thank you, Ron. :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 am

:)