Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

"Not as X, but as Y" idiom

by yo4561 Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:55 pm

I have a question on the idiom "Not as X, but as Y".

Let's say I have the following made-up example:

Veronica must consider gardening not as a hobby, but as a job that will help her pay the bills.
Question 1: I've seen "comma" placed before the "but as", however why is the comma needed? Why would you use it in this structure? Again, I realize that you should pick bigger issues on the GMAT, but this was a bit strange to me.

Question 2: To clarify on modifiers within parallelism, can you have a modifier(s) for one element but not the other(s)? I see that "that" modifies job, but there is no modifier after "hobby."

Many thanks :)
TiffanyB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: "Not as X, but as Y" idiom

by TiffanyB Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Hello yo4561,

My apologies for the delayed response to this post.

yo4561 Wrote:I have a question on the idiom "Not as X, but as Y".

Let's say I have the following made-up example:

Veronica must consider gardening not as a hobby, but as a job that will help her pay the bills.

The correct idiom would be Not X but Y.

Examples:
Not running but jogging
Not cats but dogs
Not (as a hobby) but (as a job)

yo4561 Wrote:Question 1: I've seen "comma" placed before the "but as", however why is the comma needed? Why would you use it in this structure? Again, I realize that you should pick bigger issues on the GMAT, but this was a bit strange to me.

You don't necessarily need a comma in the example you provided. Commas are required before conjunctives like "but" when two independent clauses are being connected.
Examples:
I like to go to the store, but I only go on Fridays when they offer extra discounts.
I not only like to draw but also like to paint.

yo4561 Wrote:Question 2: To clarify on modifiers within parallelism, can you have a modifier(s) for one element but not the other(s)? I see that "that" modifies job, but there is no modifier after "hobby."

The X and Y in Not X But Y are called elements. Having a modifier after one element but not the other is okay, as long as the meaning of the sentence is still clear and the elements themselves are parallel.
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:36 am

Thank you Tiffany was being so thoughtful in your responses to my questions!
TiffanyB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by TiffanyB Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:17 pm

It's my pleasure!