Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
GodwinG921
Course Students

Number properties

by GodwinG921 Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:01 pm

If x > 1, what is the value of integer x? - Source Number properties guide MGMAT

1) There are x unique factors of x.
2) The sum of x and any prime number larger than x is odd.

I Quote this is the response given in the MGMAT guide. - Statement (1) tells us that there are x unique factors of x. In order for this to be true, EVERY integer between 1and x, inclusive, must be a factor of x. Testing numbers, we can see that this property holds for 1 and for 2, but not for 3 or for 4. In fact, this property does not hold for any higher integer, because no integer x above 2 is divisible by x-I. Therefore, x = 1 or 2. However, the original problem stem told us that x > 1, so x must equal 2. SUFFICIENT..

Statement (2) tells us that x plus any prime number larger than x is odd. Since x > 1, x must equal at least 2, so this includes only prime numbers larger than 2. Therefore, the prime number is odd, and x is even. However, this does not tell us which even number x could be. INSUFFICIENT. The correct answer is (A): Statement (1) is sufficient to answer the question, but Statement (2) is insufficient.

But i cant understand why 3 cannot be a probable answer. Since 3 is also a prime number with unique factors.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Number properties

by RonPurewal Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:53 pm

3 only has two unique factors (1 and 3).

if x = 3 then statement 1 becomes "There are 3 unique factors of 3", which is a false statement.
tim
Course Students

Re: Number properties

by tim Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Please make sure questions from our strategy guides are posted in the correct section of the forums.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html