Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
PankajS331
Students

Official Guide solution

by PankajS331 Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:59 am

Please advice :- In first attempt my 50% of OG questions went wrong then I taken help of Navigator and understood where i make a mistake but now my trouble is when i see those question after few days i recollect the right answer without solving the question.
Please help me to undertsand alternate strategy for how to use OG wisely in coordination with Manhattan Strategy Guide
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Official Guide solution

by StaceyKoprince Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Knowing the right answer to this question is irrelevant. It doesn't actually mean you would know what to do with a similar question in future. The real question is whether you know how to get to that right answer.

So it's important to change your study mindset here. Even if you know the correct answer, there are still things to learn from that problem. And note that the goal is not to memorize the solution path for this problem—because this specific problem is not the problem you're going to see on the real test. None of the problems you study will be on the real test.

You might, though, see a problem that requires you to use similar reasoning. So your real goal is to teach yourself how to think your way through a new problem using the current problem as a guideline / study aid.

Read this:
http://tinyurl.com/2ndlevelofgmat

How can you incorporate those ideas into your review of these problems? What is it that you really need to learn from a problem? Try to articulate that in your own words and let us know what you think.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
PankajS331
Students

by PankajS331 Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 am

Thank you so much for your expert advice.

Approximately 25% of question are always new in every new edition of OG and others are always same from previous copy.

I was under impression if i do the questions topic wise from last 3 OG than by default i understand the question pattern and learn different concepts for same topic.

Request you to share the correct approach to study GMAT in coordination with MGMAT strategy guides.

My target score is 740.

Thank you,

Regards

Pankaj
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:28 pm

if i do the questions topic wise from last 3 OG than by default i understand the question pattern and learn different concepts for same topic.

Most people don't learn just by doing the questions. A few seem to—we're the ones who end up teaching this stuff—but we're learning so well because we're actually performing the kind of analysis that my article talked about.

Are you asking yourself the questions from this article? Are you making flash cards of the Know The Code variety?
http://tinyurl.com/2ndlevelofgmat

The ultimate thing you're trying to learn is this: What lessons can I use from this problem to adapt to some new problem in future—one that is not exactly like this one but shares some similar characteristic or characteristics? And how can I learn that in a way that will allow me to apply the lesson the first time I see that new problem in future (since that is what will happen on the real test)?

If you're not already doing that with these problems, then it's time to start. :)

Also, doing the problems by topic can be problematic, because you already know the kind of problems you're about to do. On the real test, you'll never know in advance. Everything is mixed up and you're not given any information about what's coming next. Instead, you have to figure out what each question is when it pops up. It's okay to do a few problems by topic or type when you're first learning something new. But in general, it's important to mix up your studies—to mimic the real test. This even has a name: Interleaving.

Take a look at this to learn more about interleaving:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2015/07/ ... s-say-what
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep