Verbal questions and topics from the Official Guide and Verbal Review books.
AB

OG #116

by AB Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 pm

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-fotted bathtub.

A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is briniging
C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

OA is B. The problem that confuses me in this type of question is the role of "That". Sometimes it modifies the noun just preceding it, sometimes it modifies the subject of the sentence as in this case. How can we differentiate between the two?

Thanks,

Aishwary
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:47 am

Check this out:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/og- ... t1277.html

It's a different problem, but the issue is the same.
TheChakra

by TheChakra Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Was searching for the exact same issue and thanks for the explanation. My question is, why wouldn't I read the last part as "Bygone styles of furniture and fixture ARE bringing back the chaise lounge, .... In other words, how can I modify "..furniture and fixture.. "? If I know the difference, I will be able to see when "that" or"which" refer back to the subject v/s the previous noun.

RPurewal Wrote:Check this out:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/og- ... t1277.html

It's a different problem, but the issue is the same.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:36 am

the "bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" are what is being brought back - it would be illogical to say that they are bringing themselves back. The market is bringing back the styles of furniture and fixtures, which include the chaise lounge, etc.

This is a really difficult, confusing sentence. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:11 pm

skoprince Wrote:the "bygone styles of furniture and fixtures" are what is being brought back - it would be illogical to say that they are bringing themselves back. The market is bringing back the styles of furniture and fixtures, which include the chaise lounge, etc.

This is a really difficult, confusing sentence. :)

So, if I have to modify furniture and fixtures, I would say

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures, which include (not includes) the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-fotted bathtub. Just want to make sure that the "which" here is not referring back to Market..
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 am

Yep, you've got it! The which does indeed refer to the "styles of furniture and fixtures."
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep