Math questions and topics from the Official Guide and Quantitative Review books. Please try to follow the posting pattern (e.g. OG - DS - #142) to allow for easier searches. Questions posted in the GMAT Math section regarding the OG have been moved here.
Carla

OG - Quant Review PS - 164

by Carla Mon May 14, 2007 11:14 am

Question:

When 10 is divided by the positive integer n , the remainder is n-4. Which of the following could be the value of n?

a)3
b)4
c)7
d)8
e)12

The answer is C.

I set up the equation that 10 - ny = n-4
Where y is just some integer for the quotient.

I rearrange this --> 14 = n(y+1)

From here I am stuck.

Can someone please explain what to do next?

Thanks!!

Carla
GMAT 5/18

by GMAT 5/18 Mon May 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Quickest way to solve, throw the numbers into the question.

10/3 = 3 remainder 1 ---> No
10/4 = 2 remainder 2 ---> No
10/7 = 1 remainder 3 ---> Yes

Hope that helps!
Carla

Thank You!!

by Carla Mon May 14, 2007 2:23 pm

I have no idea why I got started on building those remainder equations.. your method is just so much more obvious and easy to see..
I really appreciate your help!

Carla
GMAT 5/18

by GMAT 5/18 Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 pm

Glad I could be of some help, Carla!

Just a note of caution though - although it is great to test numbers and use trial and error, I think this approach is best used as a default method. Sometimes, trial and error can take much too long.....besides, nothing beats knowing the material and using actual mathematical rules. With that said, if the question looks like testing would work, then go with that!

Good luck on the exam!
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue May 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Quick citation note: This is from the Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review. For copyright reasons, we must cite full source name.