Verbal questions and topics from the Official Guide and Verbal Review books.
mridul12

OG - SC - #131

by mridul12 Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:42 am

How to find a subject in a sentence? Is it possible that if re-write a sentence, the subject changes. For example .
I ate Pizza ( I is Subject )
The PIzza was eaten by me ( Pizza is Subject ) ?????

Q. Source ( ORANGE OFFICIAL GUIDE ) Q 131 ; PAGE 659 .

Cajuns speaks a dialect bought to southern Louisiana by the 4000 Acadians who migrated there is 1755; there language is basically seventennth century French to which has been added English, Spanigh and Italian words.

(A) Same
(B) added to which is English , Spanish and Italian Words
(C) to which English, Spanish and Italian words has been added.
(D) with English, Spanish and Italian words having been been added to it.
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish and Italian words are added.

Please explain the correct answer.

by Guest Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:46 am

SORRY TYPO in the earlier Question. Posting it again.

How to find a subject in a sentence? Is it possible that if re-write a sentence, the subject changes. For example .

Cajuns speaks a dialect bought to southern Louisiana by the 4000 Acadians who migrated there is 1755; their language is basically seventennth century French to which has been added English, Spanigh and Italian words.

(A) Same
(C) to which English, Spanish and Italian words has been added.

by Guest Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:22 am

Anonymous Wrote:SORRY TYPO in the earlier Question. Posting it again.

Cajuns speaks a dialect bought to southern Louisiana by the 4000 Acadians who migrated there is 1755; their language is basically seventennth century French to which has been added English, Spanigh and Italian words.

(A) Same
(C) to which English, Spanish and Italian words have been added.

In this sentence the part before the underlined section, i.e sevententh century French is the subject. Following the subject, the relative clause introduces a modifier and finally the Verb.
C is the best choice because it has the verb HAVE - which is used to describe the multiple languages. Rest either use has or adverbial constructions incorrectly.

In Active Voice, the subject usually comes in the beginning, however there can be exceptions.
In the passive voice sentence you have mentioned, subject is "me". Pizza is the object and eaten is the verb.
Samy

by Samy Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:23 am

Anonymous Wrote:SORRY TYPO in the earlier Question. Posting it again.

(A) Same
(C) to which English, Spanish and Italian words have been added.

In this sentence the part before the underlined section, i.e sevententh century French is the subject. Following the subject, the relative clause introduces a modifier and finally the Verb.
C is the best choice because it has the verb HAVE - which is used to describe the multiple languages. Rest either use has or adverbial constructions incorrectly.

In Active Voice, the subject usually comes in the beginning, however there can be exceptions.
In the passive voice sentence you have mentioned, subject is "me". Pizza is the object and eaten is the verb.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:58 am

As a general rule of thumb, it is best to identify a subject by starting with the verb. In other words, first identify the action in the sentence (or clause). Then, ask yourself "who?" or "what?" has performed this action. For example, in the sentence below, the action in the final clause is "has been added." Now, when I ask myself "What has been added," it is clear that "English, Spanish, and Italian words" has been added. This obviously is an error in subject-verb agreement, as "words" is a plural subject and "has" indicates singular construction for the verb. Answer choice C, the credited response, corrects this error by properly utilizing the plural construction "have" with the plural subject "words."

-Dan