Verbal questions and topics from the Official Guide and Verbal Review books.
GMAT 2007

OG Verbal Review - SC - #111

by GMAT 2007 Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Being a United States citizen since 1988 and born in Calcutta in 1940, author Bharati Mukherjee has lived in England and Canada, and first came to the United States in 1961 to study at Iowa Writers' Workshop.

(A) Same
(B) Having been a United States citizen since 1988, she was born in Calcutta in 1940;author Bharati Mukherjee
(C) Born in Calcutta in 1940, author Bharati Mukherjee became a United States citizen in 1988;she has
(D) Being born in Calcutta in 1940 and having been a United States citizen since 1988, author Bharati Mukherjee
(E) Having been botn in Calcutta in 1940 and being a United States citizen since 1988, author Bharati Mukherjee

The correct answer is (C). In choice (C) the second independent clause starts from 'she has' and that present perfect tense. Isn't the construction "she has lived in England and Canada, and first came to the United States in 1961 to study at Iowa Writer's Workshop" means that she is still living in England and Canada? Please help understand.

Thanks
GMAT 2007
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

SC VR - 111

by dbernst Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:58 am

GMAT 2007,

That is an interesting question. You are correct that the present perfect is used to discuss an event that began at some point in the past and continues to the present moment. Although I understand your interpretation that this "event" is where the author lived, the intention of the sentence is to use the entire life of the author as the "event."

For example, in my life I have lived in Boston, Atlanta, Colorado, and California. This does not mean, however, that I still live in each of these places. As my life is an ongoing event, the present perfect is an appropriate verb tense.

As for process of elimination, choices A, D, and E can quickly be eliminate since "being" is an awkward construction and is thus customarily incorrect. As for choice B, the pronoun "she" in the first independent clause has no antecedent.

-dan

Being a United States citizen since 1988 and born in Calcutta in 1940, author Bharati Mukherjee has lived in England and Canada, and first came to the United States in 1961 to study at Iowa Writers' Workshop.

(A) Same
(B) Having been a United States citizen since 1988, she was born in Calcutta in 1940;author Bharati Mukherjee
(C) Born in Calcutta in 1940, author Bharati Mukherjee became a United States citizen in 1988;she has
(D) Being born in Calcutta in 1940 and having been a United States citizen since 1988, author Bharati Mukherjee
(E) Having been botn in Calcutta in 1940 and being a United States citizen since 1988, author Bharati Mukherjee

The correct answer is (C). In choice (C) the second independent clause starts from 'she has' and that present perfect tense. Isn't the construction "she has lived in England and Canada, and first came to the United States in 1961 to study at Iowa Writer's Workshop" means that she is still living in England and Canada? Please help understand.

Thanks
GMAT 2007
GMAT 2007

by GMAT 2007 Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks for the great explanation Dan.

GMAT 2007