Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
maqiuming.q
Forum Guests

On sentence correction Chapter 9 #7

by maqiuming.q Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34 am

Hi MGMAT Forum
Faced with the recurrence of natural disasters, such as floods and wildfires,many state governments have imposed significant taxes on their citizens for raising funds in advances of the next calamity.

Why in the standard answer, "for doing" is labelled as "wrong".Since the intention of this part is to show governments' intention and "for doing" also indicates intention, why "for doing" is wrong here. I can figure out why "to raise" is correct, but not why "in order to" is correct. Also, if "in order to" is correct", why "in order that" is suspected.
I cannot really distinguish"to do""in order to do""in order that""for doing""so as to" since all of them indicate intention of the subject.
I am a little bit confused here
Hope that someone can help me.
Thanks a lot!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: On sentence correction Chapter 9 #7

by jnelson0612 Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:48 am

maqiuming.q Wrote:Hi MGMAT Forum
Faced with the recurrence of natural disasters, such as floods and wildfires,many state governments have imposed significant taxes on their citizens for raising funds in advances of the next calamity.

Why in the standard answer, "for doing" is labelled as "wrong".Since the intention of this part is to show governments' intention and "for doing" also indicates intention, why "for doing" is wrong here. I can figure out why "to raise" is correct, but not why "in order to" is correct. Also, if "in order to" is correct", why "in order that" is suspected.
I cannot really distinguish"to do""in order to do""in order that""for doing""so as to" since all of them indicate intention of the subject.
I am a little bit confused here
Hope that someone can help me.
Thanks a lot!

Idioms are tough for non-native speakers. For me, a native speaker, it's very easy to just use my ear and know what "sounds" right. As a non-native speaker this is just going to be a harder category. The good news is that the GMAT has said that fewer idioms will be tested because they are unfair to foreign students.

The idiomatically correct way to show intention is to use "to":
RIGHT: I exercise to have better health.
WRONG: I exercise for having better health.

That's just the way it is on the GMAT, so best to just memorize. Idioms have no particular reasoning; they are just little rules of English as to the correct ways to express ideas.

Another idiom rule:
I do X in order to Y.
RIGHT: I exercise in order to have better health.
WRONG: In exercise in order that have better health.

Again, these are just little rules of English that need to be memorized. Good luck!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor