Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
Shib

oNE MORE GRAMMAR QUESTION

by Shib Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 pm

Can we use the word begun without using has/have/had before it.

For example is the sentence given below a correct one:

The event,begun in 1960, has been going on for so many years.

The answer says this is correct.But as one of the answer choices I had chosen,

The event,which has begun in 1960, has been going on for so many years.

Whats wrong with the above choice.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:49 pm

Generally, past participals such as begun are used in conjunction with have/has or had. However, in the example you have offered, it is grammatically correct to use begun. The modifier, in essence, is saying that The event was begun in 1960.

As for the specific answer choices, I need two things:
1. A complete copy of the problem and its answer choices.
2. An accurate citation for the origin of the problem (we cannot comment on problems unless we know from whence they cometh)

Thanks!
Last edited by dbernst on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shib

by Shib Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:39 am

Hi DAN,
Thanks for your response.The source of the above question is Crack-GMAT test series.Hope this helps.Also can you please give some specific examples of this sort.
Shib

by Shib Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:44 am

I'm not very clear with the answer to be very frank.Is it right to say, "it was begun" instead of saying "it began"?
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Use of "begun"

by dbernst Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:00 am

Shib, In my previous post I neglected to respond to your choice, which stated The event, which has begun in 1960, has been going on for so many years. The present perfect (has + past participle) cannot refer to the start of a past event. Instead, the present perfect indicates the ongoing nature of an event. Thus, it is fine to say that The event has begun, indicating that the event began at some point in the past and continues to the present moment. However, it is a verb tense error to say that The event has begun in 1960.

Concerning the use of begun without have, has, or had, the only examples that come to mind are in modifying phrases such as the one in this problem.

The event, begun in 1960,...

Another example:

The company, begun in the early 20th century, continues to innovate and expand.

This could also be written with the modifier as an introductory phrase.

Begun in the early 20th century, the company continues to innovate and expand.

Hope that makes sense!
Shib

by Shib Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks DAN.The explanation is awsome.