Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
Shib

One more Sentence Correction Q

by Shib Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:19 am

Source:Crack GMAT test series

The theory of cosmic evolution states <<that the universe,having begun in a state of simplicity and contrast, has metamorphosed into great variety>>.

One of the choices in the answer is :

(E) The theory of cosmic evolution states that the universe,beginning in a state of simplicity and contrast, has metamorphosed into great variety.

It is given that the correct answer is A.But whats wrong with the above choice E.A basically means ("having begun") that because the universe began in a state of simplicity and contrast it has now metamorphosed into great variety.
GMATPaduan

SC

by GMATPaduan Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:54 am

The correct answer choice correctly uses past perfect (for the earlier past action) and past tense (for the more recent past action).

Answer choice E changes the meaning of the sentence by using verb "beginning" which implies a continuing action, that was interrupted by another. I.e. Running to the gym, I ran into Tom --

also choice A indicates an action that has clearly ended, answer choice E is more vague. Those are my two cents.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:47 am

Shib,
My reply is similar to the previous response by GMATPaduan: Answer choice E incorrectly implies that the start of the universe was a continuous action, rather than an event that began in a certain manner and then changed during a later time. Another correct way to phrase the statement would be "the universe, which began in a state..."

Also, though it might be slightly time consuming, it would be of great benefit to other students if you included all five answer choices in your original post.

Thanks!
-dan
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:13 pm

(In the role of "forum police" for the moment)

Remember, guys, to post the full question text, including answer choices, and the source. Dan was nice enough to answer without the full info, but official policy is not to answer questions unless they include the requested info - next time, you may not get an answer until you comply! :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Les

by Les Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:13 am

This forum is great! I was so pumped up after seeing the questions and detailed, well-crafted replies from the MGMAT folks that I bought the complete set of 8 MGMAT Strategy guides earlier today.

I noticed that the CRACK GMAT test was mentioned as the source for this question. Is that the same as the 6 Computer adaptive tests offered online when one purchases the Strategy guides? If the CRACK GMAT is another product offered by MGMAT, I am interested. Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.
Anne1276

Singular vs. Plural

by Anne1276 Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:18 am

From MGAMT Practice CAT #4:

Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.
a) Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches
B) Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little in comparison with its market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetches
C) The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to its market value, while a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetch
D) The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch
E) The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetches

I understand everything that is wrong and needs to be fixed with this sentence. I picked E over D b/c I was confused about the fetch vs. fetches. I totally overthought the noun and figured it was a trick - that perhaps the five pounds of fleece was somehow singular. Is it fair for me to always assume that if a number bigger than 1 is used to describe the noun, then it is plural? Thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:38 am

Les - I don't know what "Crack GMAT" is - it's not one of our products. If you haven't already, make sure you buy the OG books (11th edition plus math and verbal supplements) - those are from the official test-writers and are actual past test questions.

Anne - remember that prepositional phrases don't contain the nouns to match with the verbs. So, in the phrase "five pounds of fleece" the noun you want to match with the verb is "pounds." "Of fleece" is a prepositional phrase. It is not (in this case) an issue of a number describing the noun, because fleece isn't what you're matching with the verb.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep