Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: One often hears that biographies are autobiographies

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:08 pm

ehu405 Wrote:Took it on 7/20/09 and received this question as well. Good thing I searched on here before I re-read the passage for the 5th time looking for clues to support D :).

hmm. this should have been edited; we'll look into it.
jonathanc
Students

by jonathanc Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Had this question as well and it still have not been changed 02/10/2009 ....

This is not the first time with RC (I already met this problem on a text about LCD and did report on it, and one CR have flawed corrections but fortunately well explained by Emily sledge on the forum...) and it is very frustrating when after trying 10 minutes or more correcting alone to finally give up and have to search on the forum to discover that nobody have a better explanation except that there is a mistake in the stem.

It is a pity to still meet mistakes (3 in 3 test till now all in verbal...) that have been reported many times (It would be much more acceptable if it would have been a brand new question but 2007 ....) while the MGMAT test itself is a really GREAT tool (timing, question level, awome quant questions etc...), it just unfairly lower the opinion one can have about it...

I dont mean to complain about it but just hope that can be corrected for the future. Thanks a lot,

John
gkumar
Course Students

by gkumar Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:35 am

Same here. I also got the same question!
kunbans
Students

by kunbans Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:15 pm

I chose option C because towards the end of the second paragraph, the passage mentions -
"Biographers tend to be attracted to subjects who display particular personality traits, whether they be ambition, cruelty, ingenuity, or any other characteristic that separates a potential subject from the multitudes".

I thought that ordinary citizen may refer to the multitudes. Could this be the best option under the circumstances ?
any thoughts ?
Kunal
edyong
Course Students

by edyong Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Still the same 10/28
brij.jhu
Students

by brij.jhu Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 am

This question is still there on the tests! as of Nov 28 2009
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Yes, this one is still showing up - sorry. Working on the problem now.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
christiancryan
Course Students

by christiancryan Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 pm

We've taken the whole passage out of the CAT pool for rehab. Many apologies for the fact that it was still showing up. We're implementing changes to our CAT updating process so that issues such as this one, once identified, do not slip any more through the cracks.
KshitijG61
Students

by KshitijG61 Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:11 am

@Stacey
Can you please explain why A is wrong in this question?
you say "answer A is also not GMAT-like" Can you Please explain why?

Regards,
Kshitij Garg
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:14 am

Just to be clear - can I please confirm that you haven't seen this in a recent practice test? This question was retired from our bank of CAT questions a while ago and shouldn't appear in your practice tests.

As for answer A, it seems to be making a statement about the meaning of the whole passage, in the style of a general question. I agree from the above discussion that there's some evidence to suggest A, but it's too vague an answer to either categorically prove or disprove. GMAT tends to make more specific inferences both for right and wrong answers. Although often not easy to find, evidence always exists that can prove categorically that an inference answer choice is correct or incorrect. It's never the case in GMAT problems that it's a question of the 'balance of evidence', as it seems to be in this problem.