Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.

Online Practice Tests - query

by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:20 am

Hi

Could you tell me what kind of internet line ( dial-up, broadband..) would suffice taking the online tests - i hope they are not bandwidth intensive

Thanks

Sankar
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 pm

I'll ask our IT team to reply, too, but I think it's much better if you use broadband. Because the test is timed, dial-up might introduce enough lag throughout the entire test to slow you down.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
sedla
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Bandwidth Requirements

by sedla Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 am

Sankar,

We recommend at least a DSL or a cable connection to take the online exams. However, we have students who regularly use dial-up without too many issues. As Stacey wrote, with the GMAT being a timed test, your timing may be affected in whole while waiting for the next question to come up.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Sam
MGMAT - IT

by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:25 pm

Thankyou Stacy & Sam - your points are valid.

My main concern is if these tests were as bandwidth hungry as streaming videos are ( now is this statement parallel ? :wink: ) As most ISPs charge by the Bytes of data transeferred, am concerned about this

sorry for the inconvenience !

Sankar

by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:29 pm

hi,

i am a new user here. i registered for the virtual class few days back. i also took the free gmat cbt. i wanted to knw if i could take the other cbts ( it says it has 6). i read in the email tht i would be asked if i want to take the second test. but nothing came after my test was over... please let me know wht should i do to get the 6 cbts.

jagriti
kris

dial up internet connection

by kris Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:08 am

hi,

I am hesitating to take MGMAT tests as my interconnection is dial-up. Is there anyway i can know how the test questions will pace with my internet connection. Surprisingly the response is very quick when i view the messages on the board when compared to accessing other forum sites.

Please suggest,

thanks,
Kris
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:14 pm

Guest - if you are registered for our CAT, you can access your tests (and all of your other online resources) by going to our web site and going to your Student Center (you have to log in to access it). The tests are listed under the My Practice Center section of your Student Center.

Kris - I don't know. I'll ask tech support, but I would think the major part of the issue would be how good of a connection you have at the time that you try to take the tests. I would also think the server can occasionally be a little bit slower during peak times (weekend US daytimes and weekday US evenings).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep