Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
poojakrishnamurthy1

Only for the Manhattangmat Verbal faculty

by poojakrishnamurthy1 Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:16 am

Hi,

I just wanted to ask that if there is a contradiction between the explanations I encounter on the Manhattan CAT and the Official Guides regarding some Verbal Rule, what should one do???

I've posted some questions on this thread but the faculty doesn't seem to respond to them. It is very disheartening to see that a certain SC questions that I face on CAT turn out to be incorrect because I apply logic the way OG does but Manhattan thinks otherwise.

I would request the Manhattan faculty to please issue a clarification in this regard.

Awaiting response,

Pooja
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:22 pm

As you've probably noticed, you're not the only one who hasn't had your questions answered - we provide this as a free service and we get so many posts that we are finding it next to impossible to keep up. We will continue to do our best, but I also think we can expect to see answer times of 3-4 weeks until this application season starts to wind down.

Generally speaking, OG is the official source, so it always trumps any test prep source. Ron noted in another post that the OG explanations are often not the greatest, and we have found several instances of outright contradiction (in which the explanation to one problem would say some grammatical construction or idiom was wrong and the explanation to another problem would say that construction was right!). At the same time, until / unless we can get clarification from official sources, we should go with what they say. As such, if you see a test prep problem (from us or anyone else) that directly contradicts something that OG says, go with what OG says.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep