Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
chan.juan
Forum Guests

Oranes Only

by chan.juan Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:47 am

A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a number of baskets. Each basket will contain at least one orange. If there are 20 oranges to be distributed, what is the number of oranges per basket?

(1) If the number of baskets were halved and all other conditions remained the same, there would be twice as many oranges in every remaining basket.

(2) If the number of baskets were doubled, it would no longer be possible to place at least one orange in every basket.

The Correct answer given by ManhattanPrep is "Statement(2) ALONE is sufficient, ..."

I believe that the correct answer is "Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are not sufficient.

ManhattanPrep's explaination for Statement (2) is as the following:
(2) SUFFICIENT: This tells us that if there were twice as many baskets, we would not have enough oranges to place at least one in every basket. So we must have more than 10 baskets. Since we know the number of baskets is 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20, we know that we must have 20 baskets.

However, when there 4 baskets, double the amount of baskets would be 8 baskets, it will be no longer possible to evenly disribut 20 oranges into 8 baskets; hence, having 8 baskets will fail to meeting the condition of "A number of oranges are to be distributed evenly among a number of baskets." Both 4 baskets and 20 baskets make it impossible to distribute the organes evenly in the baskets with at least one organe in each basket. Therefore, statement (2) is insufficent to determine the number of baskets.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Oranes Only

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:10 pm

you have a good point here. since "...oranges are to be evenly distributed..." is in the very beginning of the prompt, it looks like a permanent requirement.

the intention of statement 2 is that, in the hypothetical situation described, we don't have to distribute the oranges evenly anymore. however--i'm in total agreement with you here--this is far from clear.

i'll have this one re-written. thanks.