Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
astronaut

Originally developed by ancient ... ( SC question)

by astronaut Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.
1. surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
2. surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
3.surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie
4. surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
5. surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

can somebody give me answer and logic of the question
astronaut

by astronaut Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:29 am

Ok The answer is A.
My point is "due to" means "caused by" and not "because of" (thats what i have read).
The option A uses "due to" in place of "because of".

Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Tipu

by Tipu Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 am

Choice (5) can be easily eliminated because the word ' their' is ambiguous. It is not sure whether is defines Hawaiians or the people.

Choice (2) can be eliminated because it does not mention to whom surfing appeals.

Choice (4) can be eliminated because "a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is" distorts the sentence structure.

Choice (3) can be eliminated because parallelism is not proper: appeal - developing.

Choice (1) seems to be correct one which fits perfectly avoiding all the above discrepancies.

What is the correct answer ?
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:13 pm

I've never hear that rule about the phrase "due to." Where are you getting that from? You might be right, but I can't verify it on my own. As to the other answer choices, they do in fact have decidable mistakes. Notice the first split: "surfing's appeal" was not developed by Hawaiians; surfing itself was. In general, go with your easiest splits - or at least the ones you are the most sure about - first.