Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
FanPurewal
Forum Guests

Re: over 75% of the energy produced in france derives from

by FanPurewal Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:08 am

RonPurewal Wrote:If "while" comes before a complete sentence, then, ideally, it should imply BOTH simultaneity AND contrast.
While HOV (high-occupancy vehicle) lanes do serve the laudable purpose of encouraging carpooling, they also reduce the number of lanes available to solo drivers, increasing both congestion and air pollution.

If "while" comes before a modifier, it serves only to indicate simultaneity.
You shouldn't send text messages while driving.

so in this sc question, the *while* in answer A is one of the errors?

because the usage of *while* is neither before a complete sentence nor a modifier. am i right?
thanks.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 am

FanPurewal Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:If "while" comes before a complete sentence, then, ideally, it should imply BOTH simultaneity AND contrast.
While HOV (high-occupancy vehicle) lanes do serve the laudable purpose of encouraging carpooling, they also reduce the number of lanes available to solo drivers, increasing both congestion and air pollution.

If "while" comes before a modifier, it serves only to indicate simultaneity.
You shouldn't send text messages while driving.

so in this sc question, the *while* in answer A is one of the errors?

because the usage of *while* is neither before a complete sentence nor a modifier. am i right?
thanks.

Here's the two different definitions of while as a conjunction, as given by Google:

conjunction
during the time that; at the same time as.
"nothing much changed while he was away"
synonyms: during the time that, when, as; whilst
"while we waited, the weather only worsened"

whereas (indicating a contrast).
"one person wants out, while the other wants the relationship to continue"
synonyms: although, notwithstanding (the fact) that, even though, even if, for all that; whilst
"while the research is important, there are other financial considerations"

Notice the first definition doesn't contradict Ron's first point since he said "If "while" comes before a complete sentence". In the example, "the weather only worsened" isn't a complete sentence on its own. Without the word only, then the meaning would "imply BOTH simultaneity AND contrast".

However, notice that this second definition uses examples with the while clause both before and after the sentence with similar effect. So to answer your question, I would say, no, the correct answer could use the word "while" in place of "whereas" with no difference in meaning. Ron's original explanation of what's wrong with A is much more powerful than not liking the word while.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:59 am

Here, the correct sentence is as follows:
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany.
A says:
(A) while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
RonPurewal Wrote:
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%

the pronoun "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent.

here, "it" would have to stand for something like "the percentage/proportion/fraction of energy provided by nukes". there is no such noun in the sentence, so "it" is an orphan.

In the correct or wrong sentence, there is no discussion about the 'the proportion of energy' or 'the fraction of energy'-there is just a discussion about 'the percent of the energy'. So, why do we consider these sorta things to refer 'it'?
Ron, I cross out A in the following way:
In A, 'it' indicates 'the energy', but the location of 'the energy' is inside the preposition. You said in 'Thursdays with Ron' study hall that 'the object of preposition' and 'the object of verb' can't be the subject for a single moment! So, I'm looking for the subject of 'the energy'. Hmm, I get it; it is '75 percent'. But, if I replace '75 percent' with 'it' in A, the sentence doesn't make sense. Ron, is there any lack to comprehend whole the matter?
Thanks...
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm

"what does this pronoun stand for?" and "what is the subject of the sentence?" are two questions that have nothing to do with each other at all.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Thank you Ron...
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:02 pm

you're welcome.
mirzaqulov
Students

by mirzaqulov Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:59 am

I eliminated C because i thought this option, specifically the use of the word "account for" changes the meaning.
My thought process was that "Account for" means "to make up or form (a part of something)" according to merriam-webster
and thus, isn't the option C assuming that the energy consists of nuclear power (among others), rather than the energy is derived from the nuclear power?

@Ron, could you please help understand this nuance?
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Whit Garner Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:17 pm

mirzaqulov Wrote:I eliminated C because i thought this option, specifically the use of the word "account for" changes the meaning.
My thought process was that "Account for" means "to make up or form (a part of something)" according to merriam-webster
and thus, isn't the option C assuming that the energy consists of nuclear power (among others), rather than the energy is derived from the nuclear power?

So you have the meaning exactly right - but all of these things mean the same thing. To say that we get 75% of all of our energy from Nuclear power, we can actually say any of the following:

75% of our energy comes from nuclear power.
75% of our energy is derived from nuclear power.
Nuclear energy accounts for 75% of our total energy.
Nuclear energy makes up 75% of our total energy.

Idiomatically, these all mean the exact same thing!
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw