Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
rx_11
Students

Parallelism of linking berbs

by rx_11 Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:39 am

Hi, instructors,

I feel confused about Parallelism of linking berbs. In the Manhattan GMAT SC 4th page 57, there is a chapter about linking verbs.

According to the book, we should treat the linking verbs as parallel markers, and we should make two sides of the linking verb parallel. e.g The bouquet of flowers was a gift of love.

But please look at these sentense:

1.This soup smells good.
2.I feel tired.

I don't think the two sides of the "smell" & "feel" are parallel. Are these sentenses correct and parallel? How can they be parallel with the first part a noun, and the second part an adj?

Hope your reply.

Thanks very much.
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Parallelism of linking berbs

by dmitryknowsbest Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi,

Linking verbs can be used for several different purposes. In the sentences you provided, linking verbs are used to link the subject with an adjective. That's perfectly fine, just as "The bouquet of flowers was pretty" is just fine.

The parallelism issue comes up when the linking verb links a subject to an object. In that case, the subject and object need to be parallel. Fortunately, since the subject and object are going to be nouns, it's hard to get this wrong.

Correct:

I am the president.
I feel like a king.
These salespeople represent the company.
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor