Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
lijingli401
Students

participle healing problem

by lijingli401 Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains, with widespread swelling and stiffness immobilizing the injured area until it heals, the body’s response to sunburn is more localized and resulting in a distinct line dividing affected and unaffected areas of the skin.
A. with widespread swelling and stiffness immobilizing the injured area until it heals, the body’s response to sunburn is more localized and resulting
B. where the injured area is immobilized with widespread swelling and stiffness until it has healed, sunburn generates a more localized response in the body, which results instead
C. with the injured area immobilized by means of widespread swelling and stiffness until healing, sunburn generates a more localized response in the body, one resulting
D. in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until it has healed, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results
E. in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until healing, instead, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results

ANSWER:D
prep

but I do not understand why in D, until it has healed ? I do not know why here "has healed" is used.
And In E "until healing" is wrong or not and why?
thanks
myivymba
Students

Re: participle healing problem

by myivymba Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:21 am

'It has' refers to 'the injured area'. It's like a 3rd person singular eg: He has done his home work.

E is wrong, as it is a modifier which is unnecessary here!
Hence D.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:45 am

lijingli401 Wrote:but I do not understand why in D, until it has healed ? I do not know why here "has healed" is used.

read #1 here
post58397.html#p58397

thanks

it's wrong, because "until healing" would apply to the subject "swelling and stiffness". those don't heal; the injured area does. therefore, you need a construction that changes the subject to "the injured area" -- or a pronoun that stands for those words, as in the actual correct answer.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:27 am

I agree to correct answer D.

in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until it has healed, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results

but pls, help.

"has healed" show the action in the past.

and we have

a present action happens until the completion at present time of a past action.

immobilize until has heal

I thing it is impssible. why so.

pls, explain this point.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:I agree to correct answer D.

in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until it has healed, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results

but pls, help.

"has healed" show the action in the past.

and we have

a present action happens until the completion at present time of a past action.

immobilize until has heal

I thing it is impssible. why so.

pls, explain this point.

when used to describe actions, the present tense doesn't generally describe the present. instead, it describes general, timeless facts.
for instance, blood circulates through the human body is not meant to describe something that is happening right now at this exact moment; it's meant to describe something that always happens in general. (if, for some reason, i actually wanted to talk about the fact that this is happening right now, i would write "is circulating", not "circulates".)
so, that should resolve the question you're asking here.

on the other hand, when the present tense is used to describe states or conditions (rather than actions), then it generally does refer to the actual present timeframe. for instance, "i am happy" implies that i am actually happy right now.
garib_daas
Forum Guests

by garib_daas Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 am

Sir I have failed to understand the explanation of the red part that you have given.
Also please let me know why a) is right but b) is wrong.
a) Until reading, you will not recognize the importance of Manhattan Sentence Correction guide.
b) Until you read it, you will not recognize the importance of Manhattan Sentence Correction guide.

RonPurewal Wrote:
lijingli401 Wrote:but I do not understand why in D, until it has healed ? I do not know why here "has healed" is used.

read #1 here
post58397.html#p58397

thanks

it's wrong, because "until healing" would apply to the subject "swelling and stiffness". those don't heal; the injured area does. therefore, you need a construction that changes the subject to "the injured area" -- or a pronoun that stands for those words, as in the actual correct answer.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

garib_daas Wrote:Also please let me know why a) is right but b) is wrong.
a) Until reading, you will not recognize the importance of Manhattan Sentence Correction guide.
b) Until you read it, you will not recognize the importance of Manhattan Sentence Correction guide.

where did you get these sentences?
of these, (b) would actually be better than (a).
tanyatomar
Students

by tanyatomar Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Ron,
i did not understand why (A) is wrong. is it wrong because of "response with" use ???
The answer D and E use "Response in which" ... is this correct???
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 pm

tanyatomar Wrote:Hi Ron,
i did not understand why (A) is wrong. is it wrong because of "response with" use ???

the most black-and-white error in (a) -- and the one you should be most on top of, given the importance of the topic -- is its lack of parallelism.
"... and resulting" isn't parallel to anything, so that choice is wrong.
The answer D and E use "Response in which" ... is this correct???[/quote]

(d) is the officially correct option, so you already know the answer to this question.
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Ron - Can i eliminate Option A and C because of the prep phrase

with widespread swelling and stiffness ... in A and with the injured area immobilized by means of widespread swelling and stiffness .... in B

Aren't these wrong in the given question because there prep phrases modify "Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains" which sounds really awkward to me.

Please advice.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 am

jp.jprasanna Wrote:Ron - Can i eliminate Option A and C because of the prep phrase

with widespread swelling and stiffness ... in A and with the injured area immobilized by means of widespread swelling and stiffness .... in B

Aren't these wrong in the given question because there prep phrases modify "Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains" which sounds really awkward to me.

Please advice.

I agree with you! I noticed that too as soon as I read the sentence. Awful.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
tanyatomar Wrote:Hi Ron,

the most black-and-white error in (a) -- and the one you should be most on top of, given the importance of the topic -- is its lack of parallelism.
"... and resulting" isn't parallel to anything, so that choice is wrong.
The answer D and E use "Response in which" ... is this correct???

(d) is the officially correct option, so you already know the answer to this question.[/quote]

pls, help
I do not know why A is not parallel. I see that in many structures, "do-ed" can be considerd parallel to "doing" . I think that In A, "localized" is parallel with " resulting"
Is my thinking correct? pls help.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 16, 2012 6:48 am

thanghnvn Wrote:pls, help
I do not know why A is not parallel. I see that in many structures, "do-ed" can be considerd parallel to "doing" . I think that In A, "localized" is parallel with " resulting"
Is my thinking correct? pls help.

the problem in that case is that you end up with a parallel structure that doesn't make sense.
if you interpret "localized" and "resulting" as parallel, then the resultant meaning is ...
the body's response is localized... (this part makes sense)
and...
the body's response is resulting... (this part doesn't make sense -- "is VERBing" is only used for actions that are actually taking place at the present time).
sachin.w
Forum Guests

by sachin.w Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 am

The right answer D has 'more' which is not followed by than..

There was another problem in which there's an idiom used-ever more.
So, it seems that more need not be followed by than unless it is being used in comparison..

Is my understanding correct?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 am

sachin.w Wrote:The right answer D has 'more' which is not followed by than..

There was another problem in which there's an idiom used-ever more.
So, it seems that more need not be followed by than unless it is being used in comparison..

Is my understanding correct?

it's still a comparison: the second response described is more localized than the "widespread swelling and stiffness" mentioned earlier in the sentence.

try writing your own sentence with the same sort of construction: e.g., You should thoroughly master parallelism and pronouns before you tackle more obscure concepts.
(= concepts that are more obscure than parallelism and pronouns)