Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
ParthJ26
Students

Past participial phrases - noun/adverbial modifier

by ParthJ26 Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 am

Dear Instructors,

Hi.

I have gone through almost all of Ron's posts on the following issue, and I only want to ensure whether my takeaways are correct.

Pg 62 - SC Guide 6th Edition.

1. Exhausted from her job, she bought a lottery ticket with hopes of winning big. RIGHT.

The structure of the sentence is [-ED modifier], [sentence].

Since it is set off from the sentence by commas, it acts as an adverbial modifier. It is better to think of this modifier as applicable to the whole clause.

In these constructions, the modifier must describe the following noun AND have a close, easily discernible relationship to the entire idea of the following sentence.

2. By 2012, Sachin Tendulkar held 50 world records, earned at a time when cricket was still new.

The structure of the sentence is [sentence], [-ED modifier]

Incidentally, "comma + __ed", following a sentence, can also refer ONLY to the noun that precedes it.

Earned modifies records ONLY.

Kindly tell me whether my understanding is correct.

Thanks.

Parth Jain
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Past participial phrases - noun/adverbial modifier

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 am

Since it is set off from the sentence by commas, it acts as an adverbial modifier. It is better to think of this modifier as applicable to the whole clause.

This isn't always true. Noun modifiers can also be set off by commas. Take this example: My dog, a Labrador, is big.

Incidentally, "comma + __ed", following a sentence, can also refer ONLY to the noun that precedes it.

Not always true. Take this example: 'I sold my house, convinced that it was the best thing to do.' Here, the comma -ed modifier is explaining my action and is an adverbial modifier.