Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Gaurav

patchwork of greenfields

by Gaurav Wed May 21, 2008 5:12 pm

[Deleted by Stacey because this is from a banned source. Please see my post below.]

In questions having 'one of the Xs that (verb)' the verb agrees with X .. and is plural

What about questions like these where 'patchwork of fields that surround(s)' .... should it be surround or surrounds and why ?
It is clear that "bustles" should match with patchwork and hence singular ... but am not clear on surround(s)
Aragorn

Re: patchwork of greenfields

by Aragorn Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 am

Gaurav Wrote:[deleted by Stacey]

In questions having 'one of the Xs that (verb)' the verb agrees with X .. and is plural

What about questions like these where 'patchwork of fields that surround(s)' .... should it be surround or surrounds and why ?
It is clear that "bustles" should match with patchwork and hence singular ... but am not clear on surround(s)

MGMAT Rule: Eliminate the middle man...in this case of
Exception to above rule: To determine the number for each/every, use of; for all other cases, eliminate of
So we have...the patchwork...that surrounds....

So OA is B :?:
Hanumayamma

by Hanumayamma Fri May 23, 2008 2:07 pm

That modifies noun "fields". Since, fields is plural, plural verb "surround" is correct.
B and E - out
C: Many of who - is incorrect usage - Object of preposition "of" requires Object form of "Who"
D: Many of which" cannot point to workers - eliminate it

Answer: A
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed May 28, 2008 6:12 pm

I just searched for this in our database of questions and didn't find it. So I did an Internet search and found it sourced as a 1000SC question. Several things:

1) This folder is for questions found on ManhattanGMAT CAT exams ONLY. Please do not post questions from other sources here.
2) 1000SC is a banned source.

As a result, I've deleted the question. Please read the stickies and follow the forum guidelines. When we have to spend time doing this kind of detective work, we can't answer as many legitimate questions and everyone loses out!

By the way, part of the reason 1000SC is banned is because it is not a good source for study. Some questions have been transcribed incorrectly from official sources and some questions are just downright bad questions (from who knows where) in the first place. Don't use it!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Gaurav

by Gaurav Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Stacey, my apologies for the goof up ... assure you it wasnt intentional .....

After realizing that this folder is only for Manhattan Qs I've posted this Q in the general verbal forum
Would appreciate if you could explain this Q in that forum ....

Also, source is cited in the other post : its test magic forum ...
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... ields.html
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:36 am

Hi, Gaurav

Please review the forum guidelines. The source is the author of the question, not the location where the question may be posted on the Internet; I'm sure it's posted on many sites, because 1000SC is a popular source. That source, however, uses copyrighted material illegally, so it's banned here on the MGMAT forums. I'm sorry we can't help you out with this one but we have no wish to get sued by the copyright owners!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep